Vinyl / High qual analog tape / High-res digital -- One of these is not like the other

One common theme I read on forums here and elsewhere is the view by many that there is a pecking order in quality:

Top - High Quality Analog TapeNext - VinylBottom - Digital

I will go out on a limb and say that most, probably approaching almost all those making the claim have never heard a really good analog tape machine and high resolution digital side by side, and have certainly never heard what comes out the other end when it goes to vinyl, i.e. heard the tape/file that went to the cutter, then compared that to the resultant record?

High quality analog tape and high quality digital sound very similar. Add a bit of hiss (noise) to digital, and it would be very difficult to tell which is which. It is not digital, especially high resolution digital that is the outlier, it is vinyl. It is different from the other two.  Perhaps if more people actually experienced this, they would have a different approach to analog/vinyl?

This post has nothing to do with personal taste. If you prefer vinyl, then stick with it and enjoy it. There are reasons why the analog processing that occurs in the vinyl "process" can result in a sound that pleases someone. However, knowledge is good, and if you are set in your ways, you may be preventing the next leap.
roberttdid
@roberttdid
....almost all those making the claim have never heard a really good analog tape machine and high resolution digital side by side. (...)
Coincidentally, I am one of those who have (a restored Studer compared to an Ideon Audio Absolute Suite - streamer-reclocker-dac). None of this equipment belongs to me, I was just a happy bystander.
High quality analog tape and high quality digital sound very similar
Apples to apples I would agree BUT we don't often get the opportunity to compare identical sources, do we?
I.e. copy of a master tape and a hi-res digital file of said master-tape.

In my case, the comparison was made between a reel purporting to be a copy of  master tape(s), and files that were (supposedly) 24/96 conversions of the same master tape(s) (Pink Floyd The Wall + DSotM).
Keep in mind that I don't mind tape hiss one bit.
So, to the sound:
I won't rehash the hi-end vocabulary (jaw dropped, etc). Suffice it to say that the sound was exceptionally good -- we had depth, height, instrument separation, dynamic impact, sound-effects, and sonic details: all over the place and in spades. The music made sense and it was difficult to sit and think about the SQ -- rather than just get immersed in the music.
Digital: consistently more energy especially in the lower register (i.e. bass notes were more powerful and went deeperR2R: a slightly sweeter upper register (more pronounced even harmonics maybe?). Bass just as clear but not as deep (small differences).
OTOH, cymbals were slightly longer-lasting on digital

Perhaps classical would have helped us spot more differences -- alas, we didn't have any such content.So there you have it - a recent R2R - digital experience!

Renowned mastering engineer Steve Hoffman apparently did a direct comparison a while back between the master, an acetate, CD and DSD files with surprising conclusions.

He went on to write an update last year confirming that he feels that with better converters DSD is now closer to the master than CD. The record acetate also seems to acquit itself well in all cases.

However, due to inevitable losses in manufacturing and production of a physical copy, if Steve is right, wouldn't a direct DSD stream, be the closest to the original master?

If so, maybe DSD streaming is the next big thing for audiophiles?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-sounds-just-like-the-analog-master-tape-cd-vinyl-sacd-or...
There is no pecking order. Unless you are recording, tape machines are pretty worthless due to lack of software. Yes they can sound fabulous. Otherwise, it all depends on the mastering. If you switch back and forth between analog and a 24/192 copy it is unlikely you will be able to label the two versions reliably. I have duplicate copies of many albums in vinyl and Hi Res digital. In comparing them it can go either way and I'd guess that it is pretty close to 50/50.

I do not care for streaming. The drop outs drive me crazy. I have tried several wireless routers and systems and I still get them. I suppose once you have a huge collection of music you are not as interested? My daughters (who I trained well) turn me on to new artists. They filter out the mountains of really bad stuff out there now. You use to have to be tolerably good to get a recording contract. Them days are over. In the jazz world it is nowhere near as bad. You have to have at least some mastery of your instrument for admission.