Vintage Thoren TD160 vs new turntables

I have a stock Thorens 160 with a Nagaoka MP110.

i was thinking to upgrade the cartridge but noticed there seem to be some good new turntable options with graphite tonearms that come with good cartridges.

Any comments on vintage vs new would be appreciated.

( i can get over the cool factor of having a vintage turntable)
fivefasts

Showing 3 responses by phduncanson

I had a td166 that I'm sorry I sold. I had that same thought some years ago and bought an $1800 entry table. My $40 used TD 166 was much better sound. I have since sold the new and rebuilt and older 125. Now My current project is garrard 401.

You can hear a bit here: http://brooklynaudiophile.blogspot.com

What I have found since, is that new entry level equipment is often inferior to stock or tweaked out old school. You may consider waiting until you can afford a real upgrade. ~ or perhaps in the mean time, an MP 500 cart or some mods for the 160.
True dat...true dat boys. But I enjoy the process ~ especially after two weeks... finally gettin it right in the groove...it's like a whole new awsome upgrade for free.
True what Ray and bif say. But that ain't $600. More like $2000. Although I have seen the old well tempered used for about $1000. A new entry level rega, clear audio, music hall etc. will doubtfully produce any significant sonic upgrade to your td160 ~