Vintage receivers???

Considering buying a classic vintage receiver or integrated amp for my second system. At the moment I've been looking at Marantz 2200 series, but I'm just starting.................Power isn't a big concern as this will not be played at concert hall levels. ........Good sound quality is important.........My questions are, A) Recommendations........B) typical cost for recap and alignments.......and is it worth the cost and trouble?

Thanks
shadowcat2016

Showing 3 responses by shadowcat2016

Yeah, I agree, the best of the tuners, back in the day were hard to beat. I had a very nice Sansuii 5000X receiver if I remember right, that I too sold for separates. I went with a Sansuii BA-F1 amp.........that's in mothballs now and I see selling for around a grand on ebay sometimes, $600 new at the time. Picked up a Crown SL-1 preamp that I later sold for a Bryston .5B...........Still use the .5B as a phone preamp.

I love the look and feel of some of that vintage gear..........Digital stuff often has more bells and whistles, but I'm not much of a bells and whistle guy. A good two channel system has always been just fine for me.
kosst amogan

Agree on the prices.........many of the better vintage receivers sell for as much or MORE now than they did new. I guess what was good, still is, and people will pay for it...............I don't mind that part, but I'd hate to drop good $$$ on a 30-40-50 year old unit and have to dump a bunch more into repairs and rehab.................Might be less aggravation and less expensive to go with something more recent :(

I'll keep looking, might find a prize!!
tonykay

Read a few reviews on XM radio today.............almost every one said, good programming, terrible SQ.............If that's the case it doesn't seem like something I'd want to pay a subscription fee for . In all fairness, the reviews I found were at least two years old, so perhaps things are better. Seems that in the push to provide a high number of channels and appeal to the largest subscriber base, they've compressed the audio and quality sucks..............Just regurgitating what I read, no personal experience with it.............Being able to listen to my flavor of the day would be great, but if the sound is as bad as people claim.........well, my system is pretty decent. I can easily hear differences in CD recording quality, so bad radio would likely be a no-go for me...............thanks though :)