Vintage Receiver: TANDBERG, MARANTZ, or…?

Hi guys,

My primary system is in storage in NY, and I am building a small system in Lisbon, Portugal, where I am currently basing.

I have started with the purchase of a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers, and would like to use a '70s vintage receiver as the heart of the system.

Frankly, I am shooting blind, so to speak, as I haven't listened to any of the units that I am considering (having used separates for decades). However, having done a fair bit of research on-line, I am gravitating towards the Tandberg 1040P. The Marantz 2230 also looks like an interesting possibility, as I am seeking something high-quality, warm, and with an excellent tuner.

So…if any members have strong opinions about good '70s receivers, especially if you have listened to them with the VS monitors, please do contribute, and you don't have to limit yourselves to those models.

I should add that in NY I used Virtual Dynamics David speaker cables, and loved them. But that was with a different (and better) system, and I will now look for something less expensive. Any opinions on cables and the type of receiver I am considering would also be appreciated.

Thanks much in advance!

Regards,

Tony C.
whipsaw
Here's two sleepers: Sherwood 7100 and Sherwood 7100A. If you like tubes, go with the 7100. If you prefer solid state, go with the 7100A. They are both solid state, but the 7100's sound is more tube-like. I picked up the one I have in my bedroom system for 20 bucks at a thrift store. You can find clean ones on Ebay for 50-75 bucks or so. These are great sounding receivers ... good headphone amps too.
@whipsaw

Another Audio Consultants alum here. It is their mention that inspired me to post to this old thread. As you may know, they had stores all over Chicago area. Very high class stores and people. Sadly, to great loss of all Chicago area audiophiles, the chain has closed.

Anyway, the Tandbergs were beautiful receivers and one can’t go wrong with them. I also have a soft corner for Nakamichi and Luxman, but Tandgerg’s visual appeal was in a class of its own. Mac gear, old or new, has always been pricey. Of course with vintage pieces it all depends on what you find and in what condition.

I am sure that you have made your purchases by now, perhaps more than once. Good luck!
@aktchi 

Thanks for the note! Given that Simon, the founder of AC, was in the store so much when I lived in Evanston, I suspect that it was the original location. It was interesting to see how careful he was to hire only people who were truly passionate about the gear, and how they were required to have a strong base of knowledge and a willingness to learn as the the landscape changed. Very different from the type of salesmen who I often encountered at other shops, who could have just as easily been selling cars, etc.

I spent about four years with vintage power as I was developing my system here in Portugal. The Tandberg, as beautiful as it was, and despite it having been recapped, was missing something, so I tried an Accuphase. It was a real step up, so I couldn't resist another step, and ended up with an E-303x (not easy to find). Outstanding sound, and attractive, understated looks.

I am actually not typically a flipper, and when I settle into a system, I tend to stick with it for years. But this recent period was my first experience with vintage gear and re-capping, and I enjoyed learning about the potential of such amps.

Over the past year, though, I transitioned to a contemporary integrated, and have to say that it has made a further, significant difference, and not only in terms of its digital capabilities. I bought a used Hegel H160 for around $1700, and would say that it represents outstanding value.

Cheers!