Vintage KEF vs new Salk

Hi all,
I recently started a thread asking if posters think I could do better with modern speakers vs my KEF Reference 3.2s. Unfortunately, my speakers need refurbishing to sound the way they should, so now my follow-up question is: am I better off sinking  bucks into what I have, perhaps upgrading some elements, or should I get one of the Salks I've been looking at? I just emailed Jim Salk to ask about the silk tower, song3 encore, and Veracity 2 and ST, so I'm sure I'll get useful info about my options there, based on the details of my room and such.
I don't have the urge to repeat all the info I provided in my earlier thread about my other equipment, what I listen to, etc. Perhaps someone could simply speak generally about how the two options might sound relative to one another in any room, as well as the likely cost of a non-DIY KEF fix-up.
Thanks,
Marc
128x128m669326
Thanks. When a range of mid to high frequencies are played by piano, classical guitar, choral groups, the left speaker gets fuzzy. To my inexpert ears, it sounds like the cones are damaged in some minor way, but my reading (and you) suggest otherwise. Anyway, that's the kind of sound it is, however it's being produced. When I touch the woofer cones, the fuzz doesn't stop, but my ears think it's in their range. I understand I shouldn't be touching the tweeter.
 My guess is that the bass used to be better as well since it isn't tight or well-defined, but this could be a placement/room issue, or perhaps the intersection of my ears with the KEF signature sound.
Other than these two elements, I love my speakers. But piano shows up in all kinds of music, doesn't it?
I did come into some money and I could upgrade, but if Salks represent a lateral move into an uncharted  signature sound, then they wouldn't make sense.
Someone suggested I look at a set of ATC SCM 40 mk 2s that are for sale for about 4 K. Do you know these? My reading online suggests they are something special and the sealed sound might work well in my difficult room. Any thoughts?
I really appreciate your help. I'm in over my head here, which means I'm relying on posters like you.
Marc
P.S. - When I look at the speakers, I see a way to open the front, but it looks like only the section behind the posts in the back come off. I'm such a rank DIYer that I don't even know how to get to anything in there. I presume the tutorial and others you mention assume I'm as ignorant as I am and tell me things like that? Also, should I do the same things to both speakers?
Marc,
I am not sure what is making the fuzzy sound in your left speaker. It could be the tweeter or something else. 

The bottom front driver is the lower midrange driver and the upper front driver is the upper midrange driver which is the Uni-Q driver housing the tweeter. On the Uni-Q driver it would be hard to tell if the fuzzy sound originates from the tweeter or woofer. The NT25 tweeter is a tight fit in the center of the midrange driver and maybe something is misaligned.  

If you look in the front port with a flashlight I think you can see one of the woofers and check if the foam donut that goes around the coupling rod is degraded.

The four-way crossover is assembled on a large printed circuit board which is mounted on the reverse of the plastic rear terminal housing.

Regarding taking them apart, I believe there are some examples from people who have done it on Audiokarma.

Regarding the Salks, I would not rule them out. They are fine speakers. The best way to make a decision is to hear them for yourself. Any move you make will be in uncharted sound unless you can audition them.

Marc,
I forgot to mention that the front polymer baffle housing the two midrange drivers is removable. There are 6 screws attaching it to the cabinet. I think they are hex head screws but might be torx.
Thanks once more.
 I take it you're not familiar with the ATC SCM 40 v2?
The seller just came down $500 this morning - an interesting coincidence. I'm leaning toward these right now. I just started a thread to compare them with Song3 Encores. Any thoughts?
m669326,
Those ATC's are very fine speakers with a great midrange (and everything else). I think they would be hard to beat, and they are made by a company who really knows what they're doing, and are very grounded in solid science and engineering.