Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro

Showing 12 responses by ct0517

As this is a vibration / distortion hobby using a stethescope makes alot of sense to me. Yelling at your cartridge to see if direct sound pressure affects it - now that borders on questionable.

Lew /Gary /Henry – what brand of scope would you recommend. I figure I can also play doctor with my dog if I get bored. Before you reply Nikola - remember they are mans best friend.

Great info on this thread.

I have a question about an SP10 4 lb copper mat I own. Opinions seem divided over the years on whether these heavy mats do any harm to the DD Servo in the longer term with a SP10 MKII or equivalent other brand. Has anyone had any problems using them ?

I haven't used mine much as I actually like the sound from the stock rubber one. But am wondering ?

Cheers Chris
Hi Hiho – try to say that 10 times really fast.
There's even a YouTube video that he says "showing Symposium Rollerblock Jrs supporting an Isolated Turntable Armpod (Steel) that weighs 18.9 lbs. The idea using the Jrs. is from an audiophile friend in Europe."

My audiophile friend in Europe

Well 1000 + views now and not one comment.

I guess people don’t know what to make of it? It is a small hobby?

I thought I would see maybe a few comments like.

Cool ! (or)

What the hell is that supposed to be ! (or)

Tonearms belong on plinths you big dummy !

But no comments at all - go figure.

Well read my review – it works “really well” but you need to be "really" brave too.

Warning - Alcohol makes u brave but u lose dexterity. Requires a smooth light touch.

Sorry - its been a long week – is it Friday yet ?

Henry someone took me up on the offer.

Cheers
Ha Ha Ha – Love your sense of humor HiHo !

Thx for making my long work week seem shorter now.

Better to comment on the whole "NUDE" thing here.

NUDE
03-04-15: Lewm
Four days and the TT101 is still running reliably in the nude, back in its QL10 plinth. I realize no one gives a damn but me....

I care Lewm :^)

The question I have of you, is if you had to put money on it right now. Which do you think will end up being more reliable. This turntable or your Alfa Romeo project ?
just offer him an SL1200.

If you want to see if Popsy can still do the Zombie dance, make sure the sl1200 is playing

Thriller as he approaches u.

-
-
-
-
sorry popsy could not resist :^(

-
-
-
@lewm

the Armpod Drag can be seen at the 30 second mark of the video....
Lewm pls disregard my Alfa question.
Aside from listening to music, and being a music lover my interest in my summer ride and cars is equal if not more than my passion for the gear part of this hobby. But this is not the forum for it. sorry
03-16-15: Banquo363
One thing for certain is I don't know the first thing about motor oils. Here is what is available from Redline (from their website) as far as their race oils go:

20WT Race Oil (5W20)
30WT Race Oil (10W30)
40WT Race Oil (15W40)
50WT Race Oil (15W50)

And here is what RP offers in their XPR line (the line Doron recmmended to me):

XPR 3.1 0W-5
XPR 0W-10
XPR 5W-20
XPR 5W-30
XPR 10W-40
XPR 20W-50

@ the Redline, RP guys on this thread (Banquo, Doron, Lewm, others...)

Re: the bearing well lubricant discussions...

Recently read the synthetic fluid postings here. Found it ironic as my son just bought a used sports car and sent me a bunch of url's to review. they discuss RP and RL as well.

like this one

ok, nothing to do with this thread, but the similarities are striking. These guys changing out mineral fluids for synthetic in the gearboxes; sort of like you guys with the thrust pad wells ? Anyway you guys reminded me of them.

For SP10MKII owners with worn out thrust pad wells.

You can get some here

Happy listening
Henry, sorry to digress further from your vintage DD thread; but I was having my coffee this morning, came across this thread, and I am a bit surprised at both Dover and Richard.

All this "Debating" of I beams and not one mention of the best example of an I Beam, used for audio "on Audiogon", that I can think of anyway.

This I-Beam

Eminent Technology (ET) 2.5. tonearm. I am also using a ET 2.0 on a vintage DD.
10-24-15: Halcro
Dover,
All you and Richardkrebs do is disparage every scientific test method we have available for turntables without ever offering an alternative.

Henry (Halcro)

I used to have this boss; who upon first meeting you in his office would say...

"Don't dare bring any problems to my attention without offering solutions."

Now I have no boss. But my wife is trying her best to become one :^(

AudioGon Analog Forum ratings highest on Audiophile Saturday night in this part of the world, when Richard and Dover post in succession on a thread.

There is this, how do I say it, intangible, hard to describe .........chemistry between them.
One Brought up to Spec Technics Sp10MkII - $1000

4 - 5 Inch high - One inch thick Stainless Steel Machined Legs - $48

One 5.2 inch high 4 " diameter solid Brass Arm Pod (Over 19 lbs) $200

Sound that competes with the big boys - priceless

For this kind of money and sonic enjoyment I will take my chances. thank you

FWIW - I had many discussions with the chap I bought my second SP10 MKII from. He has many of the them and other brands as well. When repairing and bringing them up to speed I remember him saying he replaces electronic parts with better ones if they are obselete. A mechanical problem with the motor itself would be a problem.

As Sonofjim said I expect mine to be passed on to my kids as well but in my case I don't think my kids will want them. They are 17 now and part of the convenience and portability generation. They dont need a dedicated room for their music.

Cheers
Lewm - Is there anyone here who adheres to the notion of elevating the LP in space....

Lewm - My tonearm and platter are already "in space"
I also preferred my records firmly grounded in between. Later in personal conversations with Verdier (prior to his recent passing-RIP) he confirmed to me that his TT was designed to be used with no mat.

Halcro
I've also got a glass mat on its way from Japan.
Apparently Victor produced one for their turntables and get this.....the instructions say that the pigskin mat is designed to go UNDER the glass mat...
This would never have occurred to me...
Of course I'll try it both ways....but I wonder if you've tried a suede mat UNDER your Achromat..
Worth a try....those Victor engineers knew their 'onions'....

I have heard of "pheasant under glass" but never pig. Analog can be so much fun......