Vincent SV236MK Dry and bright?

I have read so much positives about this hybrid amplifier that I am kind of surprised when I heard it.

I am in the process of creating an affordable system that serves music well and is at least acceptable in audiophile terms. (Just sold my quite more expensive system)

I just added this Vincent amplifier and am surprised by its sound.
It definitely does some things very well for its price point, good detail, quite crisp, and nice flow and pace.

But I find it to sound so damn dry at times, and although it does have some tubelike warmth it also sounds quite bright.
Shifting a lot of music into not enjoyable for me.
I already replaced the stock tubes with Sovtek 12ax7lps, which helped some but not enough.

Does anyone have the same experience with this model?

At the moment I am experimenting with Sonus Faber Liuto monitor and Rega Dac.

I must add the new tubes have only about 20 hours on them and the Rega DAC about 60 hours.
But although I do believe in some break in effects, I have never experienced a system transforming to enjoyable from the other side.
(Not that I can't completely enjoy this system, but you get my point)

I can tame at least the brightness with speaker positioning in this setup, tilting etc.
But only when part of the brilliance of the airiness and stage is gone I succeed. A trait I am not willing to make.
And even than the highs continue to sound dry.

Any experience with this amp would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
barto

Showing 1 response by mjmch2003

Funny about the power-cable fix, I keep an old, 1M run of PS Audio Xstream Statement SC laying around for exactly this reason.