Vertical bi amping Mcintosh MC275 and Rotel RB-1582 MkII

Hi all,
I've been researching the title project but not getting any productive results.  Basically I'd like to know if the volume matches between these 2 amps.  The problem is both amps are not identical and don't have bias control so one maybe louder than another.  I don't want to add a crossover or volume control in between. 

The MC275 (v5) will be driving the high and RB-1582 MkII will be driving the low of the speaker, which is B&W 803D  My goal is to add more punchy mid low as MC275 is somewhat too gentle to some music.

Hope someone has done this and can share the thoughts with me.  Thank you.

digitalgon

Showing 2 responses by georgehifi

However, I feel both amplifiers have enough sound character differences between one another, that you may find a discontinuity in sq between the woofers and the mid / tweeter sections when listening.

Yes, it just "may" take the "coloration bloom" out of the lower mids, and give a more "accurate" representation, depending on where the xover point is between bass and mid driver.
And it’s not like a step off a cliff crossing over from one to the other amp, as the speaker 2nd or 3rd order xover will see that it’s a gradual changeover between the two amps.
Just make sure you try one amp phase reversed as the tube or the solid state may invert phase.

You may like or dislike it digitalgon, depends on your taste in presentation of the source.

Cheers George

digitalgon 

Vertical bi amping Mcintosh MC275 and Rotel RB-1582 MkII

Hi all,
I’ve been researching the title project but not getting any productive results. Basically I’d like to know if the volume matches between these 2 amps.

For them to be identical gains, would be very very lucky.

All you have to do is put a $49 Schiit Sys passive at the input of the louder of the two amps an set it just once it so your amps are then balanced to your ear, this also gives the ability to give or take a little mid/highs or bass to balance out bad recordings that are too bright or too bassy.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

Cheers George