Vector tonearm and static issue?

Hello vinyl lovers! I am trying to track down an issue that seems to be associated with my Vector Model 1. I'm hoping that you folks with more experience can help me solve this issue.

I have developed what seems to be a static discharge through my analog front end. This discharge sounds similar to a vinyl pop that we all are familiar with. I have ruled this simple answer out by re-playing the same track and no pop. Also, this discharge does occur frequently when the platter is spinning and the arm is still on the rest. I have been in contact with A.J. and he has been very helpful. At his suggestion I have verified continuity from the tip of the spindle to the end of the bearing ground wire. I have also checked for shorts between the cartridge clips and the tonearm ground wire. Still get the popping and last weekend it seemed to get even worse.

There is an upside as this forced me off my lazy butt and last Saturday I installed my Graham 2.2 with an IC-70 cable. Narry a pop since. I did make one other change and that was to mount a Glider M2 instead of the 103R that was on the Vector. I suppose I should mount the 103R on the 2.2 to rule out the possibility of something going wrong with that cartridge.

Oh, before changing arms and cartridges I also tried swapping out all of the tubes in my phono stage. Also, this does not happen with my CDP so I think I can rule out the preamp.

Is there anything else I should check? Anyone got any neat tricks to try?

TIA

Dan
dan_ed

Showing 5 responses by tubes108

Hey Dan. Intermittent problems like these can be a real bear to fault isolate. I’d think the odds are remote that a tonearm could cause the sound you mention. I’d guess that it was not the other arm, but something you did when moving to the other arm that eliminated the noise. Or else the tube changes that you mentioned, etc.

I like your idea of wiggling the wires on the Vector. If there was a fault with one or both of the signal wires within the Vector, I suppose as the arm is tracking, dependent upon how you’ve dressed the signal wires, a noise could result. Reading your thread again, you mention that the sound can occur when the arm is still on the arm-rest. Which my gut tells me eliminates the Vector from being the source of the noise. For how can a tonearm locked in its arm-rest cause any noise to result?

Dan, I think for your peace of mind, it would make sense to let Basis examine your Vector. And thus eliminate the tonearm from the list of items that might be causing this noise. I am sure Basis would be happy to verify that the arm is working properly, and provide a quick turnaround. In my years of dealing with them, they’ve been one of the good guys--always been very responsive.
Hey Dan. Happy you've made so much progress solving this problem. I agree with your "love for the sound produced" by the Vector. As I was a happy AirTangent owner (used 2 diff AT arms over many yrs), it took a lot to convince me to leave that platform. And the Vector's performance did that easily, and at a relatively low cost.

Ha! You are going to Basis and that enables a visit to a record store. Way to go. Get some big scores.
Hi SirSpeedy. That's interesting about your friend. Wonder what ergonomic issues would force such a move. In my case, I've heard a variety of arms in various sytems and never had a desire to move on from the AT. I loved the AT; hey some of the AT models without question are extraordinary. Then I heard the Vector and I was hooked. It really is a special piece of gear. I hope your friend does like his new arm. And if the VPI arm overcomes whatever those ergo issues were, maybe even though he'll likely give up some sonic benys of the AirTangent, he will be pleased. And that seems to be the bottom line. Best of luck to him.
Hey Dan_ed
Yo; questions are a good thing ask away.

The AirTangent required a very stable turntable. The Basis Debut filled that requirement perfectly with its very effective oil-damped spring suspension. Another benefit of this suspension is that the Debut does not require the use of a fancy or expensive stand to place the 'table on. I have since upgraded to the Debut Vacuum.

My Vector is either a Model 1 or 2. I used a ZYX cartridge, the AQ 7000, and the Benz LP.

Per the synergy you ask about, I have no experience with the Vector on a non-Basis 'table. Though I think the Vector would be an excellent choice on any quality turntable. It is not as though the Vector has certain colorations which require it to be matched with a 'table that is compatible with those colorations. Of course, if one is in the mood to upgrade, it certainly is a bummer that it is difficult to plug and play arms and cartridges into one's system. Hey, how many cartridges will your dealer loan you to eval?