Variations of the Micro Seiki MA505 tonearm

I recently purchased an MS MA505 MkIII tonearm. This unit has the straight, replaceable arm tube, but unlike earlier versions of the MA505 (with the S-shaped arm tube) that I have seen in photos only, it does not have VTA "on the fly" adjustment, nor does it have the weight that extends out on a horizontal post from the vertical bearing on the inner side of the tonearm, which is referred to in early MA505 manuals as the "lateral balance weight". The various MA505 manuals do not use the term "azimuth" anywhere, but does the lateral balance weight allow for azimuth adjustment? And if so, why oh why did MS eliminate both VTA on the fly and easy azimuth adjustment when they went from the MkII to the MkIII version of the MA505? As far as I can tell, one cannot adjust azimuth at all with the MkIII version, except by the usual primitive method of shimming the cartridge body. Thanks in advance for any relevant information on this subject.
lewm

Showing 3 responses by thom_at_galibier_design

Hi Lewm,

Congratulations on your purchase.

The only Mk-I I've seen did not have a lateral balance weight either, so I can't report on its benefits.

Lateral balance refers to equal left/right loading of the bearings and not to azimuth.

Yes, the 505 Mk I is capable of azimuth adjustment, but only if you purchase an accessory headshell like the one sold by Sumiko, Ikeda, or the Artisan Audio headshell I'll soon be stocking.

None of the 505's do VTA on the fly, but they do VTF (tracking force) on the fly.

The Mk-I and the two Mk-III's I've experienced all use the exact same VTA locking mechanism - the rotating wand which tightens a collet around the arm stub.

With respect to tracking force, I always calibrate the tracking force with these arms. The procedure is simple: set the dial to the desired number (let's say 2.0 g for example) and then adjust the counterweight until your digital scale reads out that same number (e.g. 2.0 g). In this way, you know that your starting point is spot on - even if the dial isn't perfectly zeroed out or linear.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
I'll defer to Clio09 on the VTA on the fly option. It's been about 6 years. I apologize for the misinformation.

From your descriptions, it sounds as if the VTA "on the fly" function is identical to that of the Dynavector DV-507 - a helical slot which is engaged by the wand. As you rotate the wand, it drives the arm up or down.

This is potentially a *very* dangerous arrangement (at least with the DV-507). The temptation is to do it on the fly, and if you unscrew the wand by one turn too many (when unlocking it), CRASH !!! ... with unpredictable consequences.

The good news about this arrangement is that if you're not tempted to adjust on the fly, it still gives you a fine and repeatable adjustment - place arm on rest, unlock lever, perform adjustment, lock lever, and listen.

The azimuth adjustable headshell relates only to arms like the Mk-I which uses a standard headshell (e.g. Sumiko, Artisan, etc.). The removable arm wand on your Mk-III has an integral headshell and does not allow for azimuth adjustment. Of this, I am certain.

Once again, I apologize for generating any confusion about the VTA on the fly. 6 years is a long time.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Hi Lewm,

Yes, having azimuth adjustment (and certainly the user interface of a Triplanar) will ruin you for everything else.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier