Vandie .7 vs Maggie .7

*** I tried to edit the TITLE.,,Sorry   I mean Vandie 1ci    Thanks

Hello to all! I am hoping I will get some opinions on these 2 speakers. I’m 65...a Pro musician with a degree in music. I’ve own of equipment for sure. Nothing in the Mega buck range. I did own a par of Maggie III’s 25 years ago. Vandersteen’s are really a brand I have never owned or stopped at a dealer or known someone who owned them.

I know opinions are GOING to vary. These are kinda 2 different speakers...but a similar approach. Maggie flat panel, and Vandie "no baffe.

I have an NAD 326BEE integrated amp..( very decent)....I’m about to spring for a Schiit Vidar. I have an MF V90,,Schiit Saga... I own Whafdale Diamond 240’s.

I was also set to pop for the Vidar and got into a discussion with someone at Schiit, and he generally said, looking at speakers/ headphones are usually a bigger change. So started my re-evaluation.

These are the 2 I am down too. I have 1400-1500 to spend. True-ness of timbre, soundstage are most important ot me ...because I have listened and played live music since I was 15.

I do very much appreciate your opinions. I want member to BE subjective and give me your take based on personal experience. Thank you very much, Otto

128x128ottoa63

Ottoa63

Your Optical/ Toslink has its limits ONLY GOING out to 97K only keep that in mind.

Although that’s above Red book CD’s. Also fiber opt cables lose top end

Feq response + other restrictions if longer than 20". and they don't LIKE!!  bends either.

TUBBES444

Thank you for the comments on digital cables... I've been using a Blue Jeans coax.. Their best... They make a strong case on their site for materials, construction and termination. These guys do NOT buy into the total crazy mania of multi 100's and 1000.00's of dollars spent on exotic cables. I am NOT defending their philosophy here... As I know this is a wide open subject... And many will defend their current use of whatever cable costing whatever... Does in there system. To divurge a bit  back to my selling days.. The store I worked at... We had Audio quest and we sold Miles and miles of all the models... Stick a Lapis cable in place of stock wire... Or a Ruby(  I'm dating myself)  along with the still ever popular Type 4 speaker wire.... I get it... And it's about budget and return on the dollar. Back to coax.. I took the Audioquest Cinamon out 6 months ago and did not change out the Blue Jeans.. Pretty happy with it. I will swap it out soon... And see what happens... Now that I have the VLRS.. I also have a run of the best optical cable from Signal cable... ( many many positive reviews in Audiogon.com and customers)   and have my little face off with these 3 wires... I'm not going to buy a 500.00 digital cable.. I'm not in that realm... Small bites. The speaker stands are next. It will be very interesting to me to hear the difference in cinder blocks and heavy steel stands... I'm expecting an improvement based on all feedback. I sold speaker stands.. I've used them in the past.. I have a very good steel and wood equipment rack. Past 25 years  I've had BW 603s II so no need for stands... When I bought some monitors I had some block around the house and just threw them up on them.

Can't I mention the Bitfrost again... The single bit version fully tricked out  with the latest USB Gen 5 board is 599.00...one of the best features of this model is.. Schiit says it can ALWAYS be updated and will not be dumper trash in tears to come. For 600.00 bucks I think that's a great feature. With 15 day return policy... When I get to this.. It won't be a problem... If it doesn't sound any better then the V90.. I send it back.

Have a great night
Otto
Otto
i have been to Schitter mecca, it all sounds the same thru the junk cheapo cables they use.......
but hey it works for them....
and yes i love his book
and his business model
but i do wonder if they have had a listen to the room the demo in.....
i run blue jeans in my vintage system
a 25’ rca out to the power amp cause my preamp can drive that
and a bi-wire set of the Belden
but you just know tge Audioquest old as the hills type 6 set i have laying around kills it.....
solid core, geometry, ?????
maybe Bill Low can hear.....
let me know if ya want to borrow a set...
of course they are terminated for Vandersteens

Otto,
 Ill take that bet, strongly agree with Tomic on this one.
 Get an 8 Ft DBS AudioQuest Go Four about 5 bills new as well
After 4 days run in it should easily outperform what you have now, the other Shiet as well, and save your postage.
 Best,
 JohnnyR
PS
As Well, Hey that would make a nice name for one of AQs Cables Initials WEL  As Well the last cable you'll ever need.
In my opinion, the Schiit Yggy or Gungnir is comparable to an Ayre Codex. I owned just about all the Schiit DAC's and can honestly say that sound reproduction gets better with each model up. The Bifrost (I had the Multibit) is a great DAC, but compared to the Codex, it is way behind. 
B