Vandersteen Quatros or B&W 803D's

I have my search down to these two.

I am leaning to the Vandersteens because these will have to be placed close to a rear wall. Vandersteens would be better in my mind because they are adjustable.

Thoughts?

Ken
drken

Showing 8 responses by pubul57

If they are like the 2ce or 3a, they are not meant to be close to a rear wall, those definitely need space behind them. While you can tune the bass, I think the real issue with how your midrange and imaging will perform.
That's true. But the issue is the same with the 5As which I am familiar with, so it is not too far of a stretch to think the Quattros are not a radical departure for Richard - not impossible I grant you. Which is of course why I qualified my statement by saying "if they are like..." That being said, I would always go to a dealer and audition with my own ears before I take any advice given; assuming there is a dealer in my area - of course, that is not true form most gear I'm interested in.
Mrjstark, I think you are right that most speakers do benefit from some space, but my experience with VS, and it seems Bigtree's message supports the same view with Quattros, is that VS really does need the space. Given that, I have loved my VSs that I have own, and have always preferred them to the B&Ws I have heard, but that is totally a personal thing and there certainly are folk who own and love B&W. Ken, how close to the rear wall do they have to be?
That's fine and I agree with you to a point, but I don't think it addresses the issue of the midrange and soundstaging sounding best with space behind the speaker. In fact, I would venture that part of Richard's design with the Qs and 5s was to be able to place the speaker out in the room for best midrange performance, while being able to contour the bass to the room where corner placment would ordinarily be best for room loading and smooth bass balance. I don't think back wall placment is a bass problem so much with the speaker, you are right, the EQ does help to address that issue, but I still think being out in the room is optimal for the overall sound and balance of the speaker. Best thing is to go to a dealer, place the speakers near the back wall, then try a setup with the speakers out in the room; if you can't hear a difference, or you can live with the difference you do hear, then you know what to do.
His situation may warrant a speaker other than Vandersteen or B&W given his need for close placement to a rear wall (though we still don't know how close) - I think that is CLEAR - and it is an issue to consider, at least with VS, can't say anything about B&W in that regard. He may choose to go with either speaker anyway, he may be happy with either, but he should also know that close placement is not ideal IMO for the VS; which I think is highly relevant to this thread. Better yet, Ken, why don't you ask Richard, he is a straight shooter and I'm fairly confident he'll give you an honest opinion.

Mrjstark, I am glad you are happy with your system, very nice pieces and I do love VS - your room treatment may be helping alot, and in the photos, your speakers don't really look that close to the rear wall; which is why I asked Ken in affect, "how close" are we talking.
Mjstark, I think I agree with you and I think Richard has certainly found a very clever way to get bass right in almost any setting.
Hi Ken. You might want to start a different thread entitled "Speakers for Close Placement to Back Wall" - you would proably get a lot more response related to the issue. The Quattros definitely will address the issue of controlling bass output effectivley, but I don't know exactly what that close of a placement will do to the rest of the spectrum and soundstaging, etc. One thing for sure, the Quattros are very fine speakers.