Vandersteen Moel 2Ce better than Model 1B used in midsize room

Probably the answer is yes but for now i must say i’m quite happy with mine model 1B. The situation is i can buy a used 2Ce for a reasonable price. I don’t have big annoying problems with the 1B only the tend to drown a bit when the music get more complex an is building up like a orchestra build up to a crescendo. My main music is Jazz like Chat Baker an fusion jazz like Billy Cobham which reproduce the 1B excellent. I was wondering how big the change will be by replacing the 1B with the 2Ce.

128x128snarfie23
I would say go for it. A couple years ago I bought some used 1C’s. Loved them from the start, so much so that I wanted more. So, only 2 months later saw a pair of 2CE Sigs available for a good price, and jumped on them. The difference is quite large, and I do not regret purchasing them in the least. You get more of ’everything’; the acoustic coupler and dedicated mid range speaker being the two differences that cannot be denied. The overall sound is simply much more ’full’, deep, and wide. My room is about 12’-6" x 17’-6" + 3’ for partial opened stair. The 2CE Sigs are on the narrow wall. No problems at all. With the tilt, and placement per Vandersteen’s guidelines, you could probably make them work even in a smaller space. I listen to a lot of orchestral music myself, along with jazz and ’rock’, and the 2CE’s are wonderful. To me, they do like power in order for them to perform more effortlessly. I ’power’ them with an old Belles 400A amp at 200 wpc. But, previous to that had a original B&K 125.2 at about 135 wpc, and that worked fine as well, but glad to have the Belles. Amp current rating is probably more important than watts. (I edited re: power as mcreyn posted).

I still have the 1C’s as rears in my HT set-up, and as back-ups should anything happen, or I decide to downsize in the future, but that is doubtful any time soon.
I have owned the 1c, 2c and 3A Sigs at various times (the 1c and 3a Sigs at the same time).  The upgrade from the 1 to 2 is large and well worth it.  The step to the 3 smaller.  The one caveat is the the 2 and 3 are much less efficient than the 1, so make sure you amp has enough power.  I would recommend at least 200w/ch into 4 ohms.  

Thanx for the input for now. My amp is a NAD C370 200 watt at 4ohm. Peak power is much higher. Think juice enough.

The space of my attic which has a V shape roof guess 60 degrees is 13 x 22 feet compared with a normal room with strait wall my cubic meters are less. However my 1B is sounding amazing despite my lousy acoustics which i correct with room correction software creates a balanced sound which benefits the Vandies quite. The whole attic will be rebuild.

Attic:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/p0yINEm.jpg[/img]

Frequency response acoustic room:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/164jSkZ.png[/img]

I guess the character of both models is more ore less the same regarding imaging transparency the 2Ce will do it probably more effortless and will sound more controlled compared to the B1 if playing demanding music.

Can buy them for 650,- euro including original stands.