Vandersteen Forum

I bought an older pair of Vandersteen 2Ce and did not like them. Found out one woofer was crackling (what I did not like was poor tweeter and midrange). I went onto the Vandersteen forum to see if changing a component or two would better the sound than 25 year old speakers. In 2022 almost anyones speakers sound better than 25 year old Vandersteen technology. 
The replies raised my eyebrows. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with that forum and did they find it cult-like or is it just me?

128x128geworthomd

I've owned B&W 802 Matrix Series 3 for 20 some years.  Always wanted Wilson Watt Puppies but after reading this article a lot of the engineering Richard Vandersteen did in the 70's and 80's seems to indicate that he was ahead of the times.  Listening to the "brightness" of the B&W's or Wilson's sounds sweet but my goal is to hear the same sound as produced in the studio.  From an engineering standpoint Richard has addressed many of the engineering issues that cloud sound reproduction.  I've listened to Vandersteen's a little bit and still have not decided on Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT's or Wilson Watt Puppies.

SoundStage-Richard-Vandersteen.pdf (troelsgravesen.dk) 

I was trying to answer a question on that forum and the moderator @ctsooner blocked my posting privileges indefinitely.

This meant I could not ask him what the problem was.

I am very careful to not violate forum rules on any site and I know I didn’t on this one as well.

Since he is active on this form, now I can. The topic to which I was responding had to do with how THD affected ’timing errors’.

SO I guess the question is, at what point does the THD get so low that the timing errors it’s adding are no longer relevant.

To which I responded:

What is meant by ’timing errors’ in this post?

This exchange can be found at https://forum.vandersteen.com/topic/705-why-zero-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=9369

You have to scroll to see my response.

This is because THD has nothing to do with ’timing errors’; but I really didn’t know what the poster meant by that, so I asked for clarification.

Richard has posted on that forum that amps with zero feedback have less timing errors. But what is meant by that was not defined. Anyone familiar with filter theory knows that phase shift affects the amplifier at its extremes of bandwidth since essentially the stray capacitance and the like that rolls off the bandwidth is acting as a filter, usually one of 6dB/octave. If you look at the input vs the output of the amp on an oscilloscope, the output will appear to be delayed in the region of the phase shift. Is this what Richard was talking about?

I find it really odd that I got suspended on that account but maybe it was something else; however the email I got seemed to suggest that my question was the problem.

Maybe ctsooner could elaborate?

Guys, the Vandersteen forums are only for Vandersteen owners.  Richard set the forums up that way as a replacement for the 'ask Richard' section.  There are many set up threads, music threads, what components marry well with Vandersteen's etc...  There are other manufacturers who have tried posting there and they too have been blocked from posting, but can read.  This has NOTHING to do with Ralph, who even Richard said, makes nice gear and I know it plays great with Vandersteen speakers.  

Ralph was a great poster who shared info about his gear.  A few of the guys on the forum own Ralph's gear and love it.  I'm not an engineer, nor do I pretend to be one. I do love music (gear too) and am blessed to get to hear a ton of stuff.  

@ctsooner feel free to delete my account and all my posts over at the Vandersteen forum - I don't see a way I can do it myself. @atmasphere has always been genuinely additive to the discussions. If the forum is going to devolve to fanboys constantly posting how everyone should upgrade to the Quatros and Richard's word shall not be questioned, then I'm out.

Hey Guys,

Ralph's comments has nothing to do with anything.

To post you have to be a Vandersteen speaker owner.

The rules are specific to share experiences with each other.

JohnnyR