Vandersteen 5?

Hi All,

A relatively local shop has a used pair of Vandersteen 5s for sale. I was originally in the market for Nautilus 803s but these Vandersteens are just barely in the price range. I am guessing that they are older (I have no idea how old yet). The upgrade to Vandersteen 5a is way out of my price range. Would the original 5s be a nice speaker? Will I need to put much money into mantaining them (e.g., replace the subwoofer powersupply or replace the crossover's batteries)?

I have a Krell 400xi, VPI Scout, ZYX Yatra, Innersound Phono, a 14 x 16 dedicated music room where I usually play classic rock. My favorite stuff was a Class A Krell / Nautilus 802 setup that a friend owned (out of my price range). I am upgrading from Matrix 802s.

Thanks,

Jim
jwit

Showing 2 responses by tomic601

My experiences are vastly different.
Initially Dutch brusque and moments later friendly but direct.
When we owned 3a Sig and were going to be driving near Hanford on a trip my wife called factory and requested a tour.
In his Richard way he said we dont do tours. Not a lot of frosting.
( there is an excellent reason for this )
But he invited us over to his house to listen to 7's..for something like 3 hours..... Like a kid in a candy store....spinning music we both love
He recommended a dealer (Optimal) and I bought the owners pair of 5A in Rosewood. Eventually he visited our house ( to check my setup skills ha!!!)
We now own a pair of 7 mk2 and will get the amps also.
He reaches out to me every month to talk shop, make sure I am happy and to talk about advanced manufacturing and airplanes.