Vandersteen 5 vs Model 2c/2wq Combo

If anyone out there has read any of my posts, I have been scouring the Earth to find a speaker setup that will fit my needs and fit my pocket book. I have found some great info here and now I have another question.

I thought about getting the Vandersteen Model 5. I believe that with this setup, I would not have a need for a subwoofer, but my listening room is small and I believe that the Model 5 would be alot like practicing scales with my guitar plugged into 100 watt Marshall stack in the bathroom. It would be complete overkill in both price and size for me; plus, I don't think I could afford that big of an investment all at one shot and you know how savings usually goes out the door because of emergencies or whatever. However, I could afford to get the Vandersteen Model 2ce this year(with help from tax refund) and then next year maybe get one Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofer. How would this setup compare to the model 5 in sound quality? The model 5 would probably still be much louder and probably get better integration, but how close can I come to a good sound with the 2ce/2wq combo?

TIA
matchstikman

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Matchstickman", "Sdcampbell" and "Maxgain":

So far, this is proving to be a VERY informative board for Vandersteen fans (such as myself), and present and past Vandersteen fans alike. I am liking what I am reading so far. I am finding this forum to be quite educational and informative. As I am thinking about revamping my system a little bit in the eighteen months before I am getting married, I am now weighing the options as to what amp and speaker combinations I want to enter my marriage with after I marry my lady and give her my last name in 2004. And given what my present living quarters are like right now, as well as those that I may encounter when I am into my marriage, it looks like that if I were to pick a Vandersteen combo to be with, I would be leaning toward the 2Ce Signatures with a pair of 2Wq's right now. It is either that, or I may get me a pair of Vandersteen 3A Signatures and use them by themselves. The difference being that I can get the 2Ce Signatures right now, and I don't have to change my amplifier if I don't want to do so. Even with the tricky impedence and complex driver configurement of the 2Ce Signatures, my Adcom GFA-545 MkII should suffice (given that it is rated to deliver 100 Watts Per Channel into 8 Ohms, and 150 Watts Per Channel into 4 Ohms........ more than enough for the 2Ce Signatures in my opinion), but if I should choose to go with a pair of 3A Signatures instead of the 2Ce Signatures, then I may need to change my amplifier then, and go with a more powerful one (probably one rated at about 250 Watts Per Channel). That is probably the real major difference right now.

Well, since I don't own a pair of Vandies yet, but I have listened to them before, and fell in love with them on top of that, I will continue to check this board for any new posts as they may come along. I find this board to be very informative, and will allow me to make an informed and confident decision when it is time for me to finally purchase my set of 2Ce Signatures.

Do keep them coming...... I love reading about Vandersteen speakers.

--Charles--