Vandersteen 3 w/ARC d240 MKII

Good evening all.
Recently I had to retire my ML Sequell IIs and replaced them with a pair of Vandersteen 3s.
At the same time I swaped in a new amp and realized my speaker cables were damaged.
After several weeks of tweaking I cannot get the sound right.
I have a feeling it's the speaker cables.
I was using Audioquest Midnight 3 bi wired and am now using an old set of Audioquest Type 4+ in a shotgun bi wire.
The speakers sound muffled and lack dynamics and good imaging.
Before I replace the cables im currious if you guys think the d240 has enough power to drive the Vandersteens--was using a sunfire on the MLs.
Thanks in advance for feedback.
ltngstrucktwice

Showing 1 response by pmotz

The D240 should have enough power unless you play very loud or have a large room. Having said that I don't think a lack of power would cause the system to sound dull, if I understand what you mean by dull. I take dull to mean lacking high frequencies. I would try another amp if available to see if that makes a difference. Given the speaker cables were damaged it's possible there was speaker and/or amplifier damage. A couple of other things to check in addition to checking the speaker tilt as recommended by Zd542; first check the Mid and High frequency adjustments on the back of the speaker, they could be misadjusted. A few turns back and forth might also help to clean any corrosion on the wiper. Second, make sure all of the connections are clean, corrosion can cause dull sound. I will add that I had 3A Signatures and upgraded to 5's and was somewhat suprised by the increased high frequencies of the 5's.