VANDERSTEEN 3 A SPEAKERS

Currently own #3a Speakers looking to bi amp them spoke to richard vandersteen himself ' he did not recommend this others have said to definetly do so any suggestions thanks
musicaudiohheaven

Showing 2 responses by ig316b

I've been Vertically bi-amping my 3A Sig's for a few months now. I'm using a pair of McCormack DNA-1 DLX Golds with a McCormack TLC-1 DLX with outstanding results. I use the TLC's passive outputs to drive the mid/tweeter section and the buffered section to drive lows. You might want to read through the Vandersteen Q&A section there is some good information in there concerning this subject. When I get the chance I will dig the information up for you. But this mostly comes down to the equipment that you are using. P.S. Right now I'm experimenting with the McCormack MicroPre that has the Gold upgrades and its actually sounding better than the TLC, so now I'm thinking the TLC might have to go in for the Platinum upgrade.
Sorry this took so long to get this back to you but this is straight from the Vandersteen Q&A. This way you can decide for yourself what you would like to do.

Bob (1/12/07): Bi-Amping the 3A Signatures From: Bob HoshallI would assume Bi-Amping any speaker could be advantageous, if you had two MATCHING POWER AMPLIFIERS, but what if you don't??? In my case I have a Parasound HCA-1200II High Current Power Amplifier rated at 205 Watts RMS X 2. My second is a PS Audio Amplifier, the Delta 200 rated at 200 Watts RMS X 2. If I were to take a guess, I would think the PS Audio is a bit better amplifier, even if the Parasound has some bells and whistles the PS Audio doesn't, neither have balanced inputs. What is your view of Bi-Amping, especially with two very different power amps? Thanks.

Answer: HELLO BOB, I NO LONGER RECOMMEND BI-AMPING OF ANY KIND UNLESS BOTH ARE TUBE AMPS. MANY SOLID STATE AMPLIFIERS ARE UNSTABLE DRIVING THE TOP OF ALL OUR SPEAKERS. THIS CAN RESULT IN AMPLIFIER PROBLEMS OR SPEAKER FAILURE. IF CONSIDERING THIS MAKE SURE YOU USE A O' SCOPE ACROSS THE OUTPUT OF THE AMPLIFIER AND LOOK FOR OSCILLATIONS ON TRANSIENTS. MANY REPORT IMPROVED TRANSPARENCY ONLY TO FIND LATER THAT THE AMPLIFIER HAS SHORT BURSTS OF OSCILLATION TRAILING ALL TRANSIENTS. LISTEN TO BOTH OF YOUR AMPLIFIERS AND PICK THE BEST ONE, BI-WIRE TO YOUR 3A SIGS AND PLAY MUSIC.

Good luck and Happy Listeing