Vandersteen 2CE Signature Speakers

Hello.  I recently auditioned a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature speakers. I found them to be amazing for jazz (lots of detail, great imaging) - really everything I read about on how these speakers sound.  However, upon listening to classical (full orchestral recordings of Mahler symphonies and Strauss tone poems), I found them to be boxy, dull and closed (quite the opposite from the jazz recordings).

Is this normal?  Why would this happen?  What can be done to fix this? I would like to buy them. 

Thanks
128x128cspiegs
My guess is that the speakers were not set up optimally for bass, which did not become apparent until music with a lot of complex and "thick" mid-bass was played.  The thick mid-bass sound will compromise midrange transparency and make the speakers sound "boxy". 
I agree with ctsooner. Overall, I think a well designed speaker should do justice to all music played through it. If a certain speaker plays jazz well, or another plays rock well.. it might mean the coloration of the speaker or design matches well with that type of sound. But that does not mean it is a well designed speaker. I think well engineerd speakers are difficult to make and above average in cost. Most people I know compromise and find speakers that may only suite their tastes.
I personally feel that we are TOLD how to listen by so many top manufactures that make speakers that maybe aren't great.  You hear the same tracks for audition for so many of the speakers out there.  It makes them sound their 'best'. This is why I always take my own music to play. 

I always use a variety of music, even country.  Folks bag on my all the time for being a Vandy fan, but honestly, it's one of the few I've found in the price ranges I listen to that is tonally outstanding and what you get as you move up teh food chain is better bass and a cleaner presentation.  

That to ME is the way it should be.  I do want a speaker that does everything, but I also realize that to get great bass, it costs a lot of money.  Cabinet size, larger and or more drivers, extra top end x over parts, better speaker cables, better amp and a source that can send it along.  Then that bass can't interfere with the rest of the sound...then an open top that isn't fake (tipped up a few DB's at the 10k hz point like so many 'top' named speakers are).

This is where Vandy makes the excellent trade off's in it's price ranges.  I'm not the only one since they sell so many speakers.  They just don't have the hype machine that Wilson did when they started.  Doesn't mean that the one speaking the loudest, is teh best for my ears ;)...