Vandersteen 2CE Signature II: Is it worth the price of $2700? Why are so many for sale?

I have seen several ads on both AG and Ebay for a "variety" of Vandersteen 2CE's  

Question: Is:the "latest version:"of the model worth its  $2700 price tag  considering the evolution of this design over the last 10 to 12 years

Vandersteen's website shares a few paragraphs about the upgrades made; but, has their really been notable or marked improvements in sound quality and overall performance?.

The amount of 2CE's for sale regardless of what version seems unusual,and even cautionary for buyers looking at a used pair ( taking into consideration age and condition)

Lastly, does this model compete with the performance of other speakers in its price range??

Thank you, S.J.

sunnyjim
I know that when I've head the Simaudio gear in a few dealers show rooms as well as at a buddy's house, they were forward.  I've heard the whole Vandy line and forward isn't a description I would use as I've never heard them not have a fairly large soundstage with good imaging.  My Treo's and Quatro CT's throw a realistic stage if it's fed that.  I've had a lot of gear in teh house and I've heard the soundstage change with each different piece.  That's just me.

As for the ET's, I"ve been hearing them since the 90's and have always heard them set up properly. As has been stated, you just need the right room.  If you have that and you have very good amps with a lot of power, you will get very good sound.  The only problem I've had with them is a bit of coherency issues integrating the bass with the panels.  It can be done, but it can cost a bit.  I like Vandy's as you can easily run them on good NAD, Rotel or Belles or many of the other nice sounding amps from 500 to whatever and keep getting better and better sound.  
@twoleftears 

the quote you used from my post was about the 2CE Sigs, not the Treos.  The Treo (non-CT) do indeed have a much more forward sound stage than the 2CE Sigs that I had.  It may be heightened more by the SimAudio gear.  I had a SimAudio integrated with my 2CE Sigs before moving to Rogue Audio tubes.  The soundstage was further recessed with the Rogue tube gear.
I promise you that the Sim gear will move any stage forward.  That's part of what they do and why some who love the front row seats, like the Sim gear.  It's a different taste deal. 

That said, I've heard Sim separates on the Treo's that I used to own and the stage still started a bit behind them.  I also felt that it extended very deep, but I was using a Basis TT with a Rhea phono stage.  I didn't like the Sim with anything digital in my system and I was using an Ayre QX5 that I'm now selling.  It's a great DAC and matched well with the Sim.

As for the Treo vs the 2's, I haven't heard both in the same system in the same room to be able to really say.  

I've been waiting for quite a while for a used set of 2ce Sigs to appear in my area (Midwest). It just hasn't materialized.

I bought a set of 1Ci's last year. If these are better, it's a no-lose proposition!