Van Halen on 200 gram vinyl?

I grew up in LA dring the 80's and I loved Van Halen. I see VH's first album is being offered on 200 gram vinyl, remastered, etc. But, is it really worth it? I mean Van Halen on heavy vinyl? Isnt the c/d or standard issue enough. Same with Ac/DC reissues and frickin Twister Sister. If anyone of you works for a record manufacturer please urge your employers to reissue decent stuff. Can anyone else suggest a record that does not warrant reissue?
tbromgard
I dont want to dis music others might like, even if it is crap
This should be all of ours' mantra.

Everyone has his or her taste. My point is to respect that. I DO NOT like any of the bands/performers you mention, but I respect others opinion to like them without being disrespectful of them or the band.

Steve
Manilow and Kenny Rogers were big stars at the time of thier releases and as for Little Richard he was huge in his hay day and is a standard. Most music from the 80's and 90's was not recorded well and or they were overdubbed to the hilt. They need something to work with. There were also more one hit wonders around then, you cannot make money if there is only one good song on an album.
Hi SR-
Well, it is my post and I can pontificate on just about anything I want. But, you might have a point, I dont want to dis music others might like, even if it is crap. Perhaps I am jaded by the last 20 years or so when vinyl was harder and harder to come by, and those few companies that were pressing vinyl had to use their resources wisely. When I see reissues of bands like Twister Sister-which is perhaps the best example of a bad reissue choice-I think to myself...aren't there better choices? Aren't there better bands and albums? I think they can do better, but you seem satisfied.
Part of my postabout Little Richard went amuck. Here is the rest:
"More than any other performer - save, perhaps, Elvis Presley, Little Richard blew the lid off the Fifties, laying the foundation for rock and roll with his explosive music and charismatic persona. On record, he made spine-tingling rock and roll. His frantically charged piano playing and raspy, shouted vocals on such classics as "Tutti Frutti", "Long Tall Sally" and "Good Golly, Miss Molly" defined the dynamic sound of rock and roll."[
Tbromgard-
I am not a Twisted Sister fan, nor a Van Halen fan. I just find your High Horse Holier-Than-Thou post objectionable.

BTW-Barry Mannilow-In 1978, five of his albums were on the best-selling charts simultaneously, a feat equaled only by Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson and Johnny Mathis

Little Richard-The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame web site entry on Richard states that:

Kenny Rodgers-"More than any other performer - save, perhaps, Elvis Presley, Little Richard blew the lid off the Fifties, laying the foundation for rock and roll with his explosive music and charismatic persona. On record, he made spine-tingling rock and roll. His frantically charged piano playing and raspy, shouted vocals on such classics as "Tutti Frutti", "Long Tall Sally" and "Good Golly, Miss Molly" defined the dynamic sound of rock and roll."
He has been very successful, charting more than 70 hit singles across various music genres and topping the country and pop album charts for more than 420 individual weeks in the United States alone.

Two of his albums, The Gambler and Kenny, are featured in the About.com poll of "The 200 Most Influential Country Albums Ever".[2] He was voted the "Favorite Singer of All-Time" in a 1986 joint poll by readers of both USA Today and People.[3] He has received hundreds of awards for both his music and charity work. These include AMAs, Grammys, ACMs and CMAs, as well as a lifetime achievement award for a career spanning six decades in 2003.[4]

All the above from Wikopedia.

And I am not a fan of those 3 artist either.
Yes-Synthfreek you are correct, Lil Dick has some merit. But not enough to be reissued on heavy virgin vinyl, etc. Cheers.
It's just that Little Richard doesn't deserve to sandwiched between Barely Man Enough & The Gambler.
...but for the life of me I cant figure out why they would take so much time and effort to reissue crap from Barry Manilow, Little Richard and Kenny Rogers

Because you have no brain.
Is it really debatable that Twisted Sister is a crap glam-band from the early 80's, who's music was aimed at adolesent teenage boys? It was recorded and mixed on a crappy first generation digital playback system and compressed? What I was really trying to convey with my thread was my displeasure at the choices the record companies make when choicing which records to reissue. For example MFSL-great company, glad they are in busienss, I own several of their pressings...but for the life of me I cant figure out why they would take so much time and effort to reissue crap from Barry Manilow, Little Richard and Kenny Rogers. Do we really need more of these recordings around-even if it is slightly better sound? Let me know what you think...
very happy vinyl is being pressed again, but I would rather the execs who do the selecting of what gets reissued would use a little more discretion
I am sure that the "execs" use projected sales to select the albums to re-release. And I bet VH's first LP sold a bunch-o-copies and some "exec" sees some big $$$$ in future sales.
I dont mean to be sanctimonious about what deserves a reissue and what doesn't, and I am very happy vinyl is being pressed again, but I would rather the execs who do the selecting of what gets reissued would use a little more discretion. There are plenty of records which are good which have not been issued on vinyl let alone reissued 8 different ways. For example: David Grey-White Ladder, or The Killers Hot Fuss, or The Script. There are tons of examples of new and old cd based albums which have not yet been pressed onto vinyl. But whatever-if you like Twisted Sister so much, go buy it.
I wish they would stop reissueing the the same albums and pick some new people or differant album from these people. How many new Roy Orbison greatest and Steely Dan AJA amoung others can they come out with.

How many differant vinyl thicknesses do we need either and again as the vinyl gets thicker they have to do another reissue of the same reissues they have done before. VH was done a while ago by DCC at 180 gram. Why not pick a differant VH album. I want new old music not what has already been reissued to death.

I may get the new reissue of the reissue to see if it is better but give me a break will ya, it is getting harder to justify even to myself never mind the wife.

IMHO.
Tbromgard,

I wouldn't buy Twisted Sister either, but it seems a little sanctimonious to start pointificating about what deserves a reissue and what doesn't.

You might love Jennifer Warnes, for example - but some audiophiles would prefer listening to an agitated ferret before subjecting themselves to Famous Blue Raincoat.

All you have to do is keep shopping. There are sooooo many vinyl reissues compared to even 5 years ago.
Don't laugh but they're playing up the 25th anniversary of Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry album. There's also a deluxe 2CD version. The album is actually pretty decent. Don't judge it by the two songs they played on MTV. 80s version of Alice Cooper's Killer.
Has2be is correct, its the choice of the reissue I dont understand. Twisted sister was lame when it first came out, as if it needs to be reissued.
the original pressing of VH's 1st album was already pretty 'hot stamped' at least the copy I had and had ALOT of high frequency extension and information, a bit too tipped up actually.. I would look for an original 1st gen. pressing from 1978... and clean it GOOD.
I beleive the thread was not so much about quality of recordings or weights.... I beleive Tbromgard's post was more on the choices of bands and albums they choose to re-issue, and others (personal) opinions on that subject. Personaly myself I would just like to see more and more being re-issued to have more genre's and era,s to choose from. Cheers

Tbromgard -

The AC/DC reissues are quite excellent - at least the ones with Bon Scott (the only era of the band I listen to).

What exactly bothered you so much about these? Did you already have original pristine Australian pressings?

Not all of us want to go to ridiculous lengths for every artist we listen to. So - sometimes, a new pressing can be the way to go - whatever the weight of the vinyl.
08-26-09: Chashmal
I have found that all the 'extra heavy' LPs sound worse, not better.

It sounds like you may be experiencing VTA issues. Most times it is necessary to adjust the VTA when switching between record thickness to adjust the proper tracking angle.

Cheers,
John
Wow, I have the VH on 180 gram vinyl, and it blows away my CD version, and my old vinyl. Richer, fuller, greater impact. I also have the AC/DC Back in Black, and it also sounds stellar, better than my DVD-Audio version.

Other great heavy metal re-issues:

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Metallica - all of them

Led Zeppelin - Mothership
I have found that all the 'extra heavy' LPs sound worse, not better. But if you are playing 80's heavy metal, it doesn't matter anyway, in my opinion.
" and fricken Twisted Sister " ..... Call up those records companies and tell em .... Your not gonna take it any moooooore!!! I felt this way with alot of the mobile fidelity choices when vynil was and cd wasn,t ! I know they feel they have to please the masses and the availabilty of the tapes but...yeah I hear you ! Cheers