VALENTYNE SUITE COLOSSEUM 21st July 21st 1969

VALENTYNE SUITE by COLOSSEUM. An ambitious and bold yet so beautifully executed progressive jazz rock classical epic from master English musicians guided by band leader drummer Jon Hiseman. He completed the sleeve notes just as Neil Armstrong took "one small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind", July 21st, 1969.

Yes indeed VALENTYNE SUITE, basically a love song, is a giant leap in epic compositions, in concept albums and an bold experiment of artistic and music freedom in rock music. It was 1969 and the album stands as a beautiful document of an era when musicians did exactly what they wanted to do, just music no compromises. Art at finest. An era that had begun in Hendrix´s Ladyland and Procol Harum´s "In Held Twas in I" in previous year. Rock`n´roll was never the same anymore and Progressive Rock changed everything.
harold-not-the-barrel
In our LRS today and with being fresh in mind went a hunting.

Picked up Colosseum Live and Cactus Choir by Dave Greenslade.

And another memory jolt.

Wardance by Colosseum II with Gary Moore.

Almost forgot about the most excellent Colosseum II version.

Well worth a listen as well.
Valentyne Suite the Australian first press on Fontana label is just beautiful.
And this Live reissue just released in spring seems to be very interesting:
https://www.discogs.com/Colosseum-Live/release/13483556
Gotta get that too, the best live record in the golden age of rock, it was 1971 ... oh boy ...
My original Colosseum Live LP cover has reddish clear thin plastic record sleeves glued inside the outer cover, with thin foam strips inside the edge of the sleeves to stop the records from sliding out.  This can't have been great for the vinyl...
COLOSSEUM LIVE 2LP on Tiger Bay label, with "I Can´t Live Without You" by original guitarist James Litherland, first time on vinyl. Can you dig that man ! https://www.discogs.com/Colosseum-Live/release/13483556

A stunning reissue released this Spring, faithful to original sound and cover. With this one you can fool your friends listening to original UK Bronze. The best vinyl reissue of anything I´ve heard this far. Fabulous release does honor to these fine English musicians and this incredibly stylish music mix of rock, blues, jazz and classical influences/melody.

This is heavy music. COLOSSEUM took the blues to a higher level and boldly went where no man had gone before. It was 1971, at the pinnacle of Rock´s evolution when everything came together in Prog Rock. This live double changed it all. Soon followed Deep Purple´s Made in Japan 1972, Uriah Heep Live January 1973, ELP`s triple live album 1974 ...

RIP Jon and Dick, you are the greatest. Thanks for your Music.

Dave Greenslade's best organ solo ever is not  with Colosseum or his solo lps. 
Its on the "Electrocuted" lp  ('75) by Swede Lasse Wellander.

Dick Heckstall-Smith's solo lp is very good but takes repeated listens to work-in.

"The Grass Is Greener" lp has same front cover as "Valentine Suite" and is basically Valentine Suite (Butty's Blues, Machine... & Elegy).
It took me a long time but a few months back I finally scored a copy.

On some forum I listed the few differences between the two lps - but I can't remember just now . One difference was the same song BUT A DIFFERENT VOCALIST.
And I seem to recall that the track "Bolero" exists on none of their other main lps.