Vacuum Tube Break-in

Is there such a thing as tube break-in? I been laying with many tubes in about 20 tube amps for 40 years and never heard a difference in a new tube vs same tube with 50 hours use. I always bought and used NOS tubes, not used. I believe if a difference is heard with break-in, it is the placebo effect.

fisher_400

You might not believe it, but some folks can't hear a difference between tubes of the same type either. Personally I never make decisions about tubes until they have run in for 24 hours. :-)

I will run things in with FM in the background.   I believe speakers have break in , but it's short.    Electronics,  I'm not so sure.   I think it's a mix of maybe a slight change and you as a listener acclimating to the new "sound" .

I know this about tubes, you can take a bunch of like ones and they all test different.    New, NOS , doesn't matter.  Some are simply better than others. 

I have some new tubes that sound fantastic and I found some to be weak or triodes don't match.    

I have some NOS that were from a large hoard. All from 1956.  Some are great , some are ok , and two had shorts.  Thankfully I rooted those out before damaging my amp

The problem with tubes is that the "tone" is so subjective.  I happen to like JJ 6l6gc,  they could sound horrible in your amp.

I paid a little extra the last time I bought 12ax7 and au7 to have them matched and to be screen for noise.   That's what I would recommend,  the remainder of the tubes that don't pass end up at Guitar Center and mom and pop music shops 

Trust me on that one.  I had purchased a few tubes in a pinch at a mom and pop , yes they worked but they were not strong, matched emmisions 

Buy from Brent Jessee or someone with real knowledge of tubes

Post removed