VAC 301 versus VAC 200 as monoblocks

Has anybody compared VAC Phi 301 stereo with two VAC Phi 200 as monoblocks?

I have a large room with 87 db Avalons and like to listen to full orchestral music.
franzschubert

Showing 7 responses by franzschubert

Thanks Barrelchief,
I did talk to Kevin, he leaned towards the 200's in mono. "More vivid but less organic" to paraphrase. I just wondered if any one else has compared the two
Well I just had the good fortune to compare these two amps in the same system. It's very simple really:

If you like your coffee with milk and sugar the 300 is for you. If you prefer your coffee black, go for the 200s as monoblocks ............... plain and simple
Barrelchief,

That's a tantalizing thought and I may still do that. The thought of 16 KT88s glowing in the room is a little overwhelming.
Well if two 300.1 as monoblocks are the way to go, then why not the VAC Statement 440? Has anyone heard it?
Yes. I did various comparisons. I had one 300.1 and one 200, and my speakers are Avalon Ascent II.

Listening to them in Mono (one speaker only) the 300 was warmer, richer and more forgiving of sibilance. The 200 was more detailed and vivid.

Then I used them as (asymmetrical) monoblocks, adjusting the higher gain of the 300 with its controller. This produced the deepest holographic soundstage I have ever heard with a gorgeous textured base. This must be close to what 2 300's as monoblocks must be like ?!!?

Fplanner2010 the difference between a 300.1 and Cognac is that the 300.1 does not give you a headache.
AMR CD 77 as source
Music First Audio (silver wire) TVC as preamp
Cardas IC's and speaker cables (tri-wired)