VAC 200 iq vs Mcintosh MC2301 vs ARC Ref 160 M

Hi Agoners!

When purchasing my Shunyata power cords I stumbled upon a pair of Franco Serblin Ktema on demo on the dealer’s room. I was immediately astounded by the sound produced by the speakers driven by Lamm monos and pre, to me the Ktema retains much of the original SF sound signature compared to the new SF, so with heavy heart I cancelled my booking for a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Tradition and begin the quest of re arranging my upgrade plan.

I now have the following amps/pre on considerations;
AMPS:
- VAC 200 IQ in Monoblocks. Have to be purchased brand new
- Mcintosh MC2301. There is a used pair in almost new condition for sale locally, price is the same as buying one piece new (half price off new)
- ARC REF 160 M. Have to be purchased brand new
PREAMP:
- VAC Signature MKIIA SE. Have to be purchased brand new
- Mcintosh C1100. Have to be purchased brand new
- ARC REF 6. There is a used one for sale locally half price from new price
- ARC REF 6 SE. Have to be brand new.

Which way do you folks think I should go to? I am already familiar with Mcintosh-SF pairing as my current is a pair of MC75+C22+SF Guarneri Evo which I love very much but lacking (in my opinion) in regards of pure power, dynamics, and emotion. While a lot of tone, vocals and even bass sounds very nice (Bob Marley’s Turn Your Light Down Low is amazing) I can never get piano tone to sound proper not thin/powerless, while I can hear Diana Krall’s saliva splatting inside her mouth that saliva splat doesn’t sound wet enough like my old system. The system hasn’t been able to raise my goosebumps like my old system from more than a decade ago before I quit the hobby (Jadis pre - Cary amp - SF combo). I like tight bass and haunting midrange, never care too much about extreme detail or transparency. Off course I like details and transparency but not on the cost of sweetness and tightness.

The only brand I have to wait for around 4 months from the above list is VAC. The rest of the options are available for immediate purchase. Right now I am leaning heavily towards VAC because based on what I understand (I might be wrong) VAC sits right in the middle of Mcintosh and VAC in term of house sound. Obviously VAC 200 IQ Monos will cost me the most because none is available pre owned locally and I am wondering if the performance difference is worth paying double considering I can get a pair of pre owned MC2301 for half price in almost new condition compared VAC 200 IQ which I have to buy brand new and wait 4 months. I normally never consider ARC because in my personal opinion ARC gears are being upgraded too quickly and the brand sound too much like SS, in this case I considered ARC because I heard VAC amp with ARC pre is a very good match even exceeding VAC’s own pre amp when matched with VAC’s amp and I can get ARC preamp locally very easily.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions folks!
uwiikz

Showing 1 response by inna