VAC 160iSE integrated with NOLA speakers

Given the superb home audio that I have been enjoying recently thanks to my new VAC 160iSE integrated coupled with my NOLA Metro Grand Reference 2 speakers and Synergistic Research cabling/power, I thought I would post a few brief comments about my set up for those who might be looking into any of these products. When making my recent amplification changes the enormously talented team at VAC gave me open and very insightful advice, as I hear they always do to anyone trying to set up a system with products of his design. By the way I understand that there will be a very similar VAC/NOLA set up by Mike Oltz of Xtreme Fidelity (who sold me my VAC160iSE) will be exhibited at the upcoming September 2014 audio show in Brooklyn, so there is an opportunity for anyone interested to hear this set up for themselves.

VAC’s 160iSE integrated puts out 85 wpc just like the original 160i, differing from the original in having (as I understand) a superior transformer, and also a special phono stage (that I have yet to use). It uses trickle down technology from VAC’s statement products. I had and loved the VAC 300.1a and Renaissance Mk3 preamp before the 160iSE. Given that my 87dB NOLA Metro Grand Ref 2 speakers don’t need the extra power, I decided to trade them on Audiogon for the 160iSE especially after hearing from Kevin Hayes at VAC that the new integrated performs in some ways at the level of VAC Statement products.

Having had the VAC160iSE at home now for two or more months or so, I can only say that the sound it produces in my system is truly fabulous – superb, open, rich mid-range without any edge and full of presence, great clean high frequencies. And I never find myself missing anything in the bass area compared to what I got from my NOLAs using my old higher powered VAC electronics. By the way, the NOLA Metros reach down into the low 20 hz region. I should also say that my room measures about 21 feet X 14 feet X 8.5 feet, and I understand that for larger rooms I might need more power or more efficient speakers.

The VAC160iSE definitely outperforms in very gratifying ways my previous, already superb VAC separates. And while I don’t really know the ultra high-powered VAC Statement system, I have heard it with NOLAs similar to mine, and based on that I would tend to echo Kevin’s insight about the 160iSE relative to those amps, although of course there is a big difference in the wpc output which probably has an impact in some ways. Since it needs far fewer tubes and has all its tubes out front, it is friendlier both cost-wise and logistically for tube swapping.

I should also say that I also very much like my NOLA Metro Grand 2s, with their open, 3D and natural yet detailed sound, and their (from all that I have heard) unequalled way with vocals. They are an excellent match with VAC amps. I understand that NOLA has a brand new upgraded Metro Gold version (newer even than the Gold version he introduced last year) that is a significant advance over earlier Metros. So I am looking forward to hearing those in September at the Brooklyn show.

My cabling is SR Element Tungsten, and I also use SR’s PowerCell8 Mk 3 which is a very helpful thing in NYC. I have had extremely positive outcomes using SR’s innovative UEF technology based bullets, HFTs, FEQ, ECTs, XOTs, etc. Their excellent products definitely work very “synergistically” with the rest of my set up.

Perhaps those with similar audio set ups or preferences have suggestions of interest for me. Look forward to those.

Thanks
agriculturist
Jm I did not listen to them side by and you did buy my vac. The SE is much better and certainly worth the extra cash outlay in my opinion.
Dan
Just to mention as a further update, that I now find that double damping all tubes in the VAC 160iSE - i.e., preamp, input, output sections - works better than single damping. That is I am now using two of Herbie's HAL-O III dampers on each tube in the VAC. Results are just better - more of the same good stuff.
FWIW as an update I went back to using the stock VAC fuse from the SR Red fuse and now find myself actually liking those best.

agriculturist OP76 posts04-15-2016 11:33pmFWIW as an update I went back to using the stock VAC fuse from the SR Red fuse and now find myself actually liking those best.

I know another VAC owner prefer the stock fuse in his 300.1a and audiophile fuse in Ren MK3 pre.    Trust your ear!
As an update from me, I have upgraded to the 160iSE from the 160i. The most noticeable difference for me was the black background. The 160i sounded like a tube amp, with some tube noise residue, the 160iSE is dead silent. The midrange is very similar, but the SE version has a tad more resolution in the bass and highs.

I am using a Audio Horizon Platinum Reference fuse at the moment. I may have to go back and try the stock fuse again.
Glad to hear that you like the SE John.  I still love the sound of mine for sure.  Recently I cleaned out all my power and signal cable connectors with Deoxit, then cleaned with 99% alcohol, and finally put some Furutech nano liquid on the signal cable connectors.  Every thing sounds cleaner and more lively now.  
Interesting, maybe I should clean my contacts. The only thing I did was to add Stabilant 22 contact enhancer to my contacts, which seemed to help a little bit.
The Stabilant 22 was a recommendation from Rick Schultz, of High Fidelity cables.
Have ~25 hours on my VAC SigMKIIa pre upgraded to SE and hearing similar improvements described from 160i to 160iSE.    Blacker background, lower noise, improved transparency, organic, timbre, musicality ...  a totally different preamp and for the cost of upgrade, HIGHLY recommended!

Their were minor circuit changes removing a pair of 12au7 ... according to Kevin Hayes, major change is using statement level Lundahl signal transformers.   I assume 160iSE is also using statement level transformers?

I was talking to Kevin and he said 200 IQ can also roll KT120 and KT150.   He hasn't roll KT120 but KT88 beats KT150 in factory and dealer demos.   I wonder if 160iSE can also roll KT120 and KT150?

Two interesting videos.  200 IQ will trip before blowing a fuse if output tube fails.  Now great tube sound with SS low maintenance?   

Interview with Kevin Hayes on 200 IQ

VAC 200 IQ in action

KngHifi, yes, I believe the transformers in the 160iSE are the same as in the Statement gear, so probably the Lundahl statement level ones.

Your 200IQ sounds like it must be great, perhaps better than my integrated I suppose.  As I understood it, an advantage of the integrated is the direct coupling of the tubes to the transformers (?) - that is no use of capacitors.  But I am no expert in these matters so I am not sure if I am describing this properly.

No, the KT120 and KT150s cannot be used in the 160iSE from what Kevin and Brent told me.

I have seen good benefits from using Stillpoints - LPIs above as weights on the chassis and ultra aluminums below in damping chassis resonance. I imagine this is one area that VAC probably had to make some compromises, at least relative to the Statement gear, given costs and available chassis space.  I am going to try a couple of HRS DPX damping plates on top of the Transformer casings in the next week.  I have the amp sitting on top of a SR Tranquility base which is very helpful too.

Interesting interview with Kevin.  Thanks for the link.

He was also interviewed in TAS.  Did you see that?  That was interesting too.

JMCGrogan2:
I can vouch for the Furutech Nano Liquid.  Don't know anything about the Stabilant treatment you used.  I got the best impact from cleaning and treating my speaker posts which were dirty and the speaker cables, as well as all digital cable contacts between MacMini, USB converter and DAC.  Where the cables/component connectors were newer I got less benefit, and where they were older and more muck and oxidation had collected I got correspondingly more benefit.  The DeOxit on all IC and PC connectors was a big plus for sound initially.  And later on I cleaned all the IC and speaker connectors again and applied the Nano liquid, and then I got another big bump up in sound.  As I have learned, after cleaning with DeOxit, you must clean the muck off the connectors with 99% isopropyl alcohol.  I actually even cleaned some easy to reach male AC receptacles and USB receptacles in various components. 
agriculturist, I don't own 200IQs. Just found the technology fascinating and if sounds as good, then something I will be interested in. 200IQ is transformer coupled output with IQ bias

agriculturist, Haven't read Kevin's interview yet.  My brother has the TAS.
Knghifi, Kevin makes many interesting comments in it about the things they did to deliver the best sound  - optimizing separation of various sections, special parts, the new IQ system, and internal bracing to minimize resonance, etc.  Worth reading. 
agriculturist, you should ask Kevin when he's offering IQ upgrade for 160iSE.  :-):-)  Real time bias will definitely improve SQ.
It would be nice if he could do that for my Phi 200, but I wonder if that's possible.
Yes, worth finding out.  I heard from Mike Oltz that IQ is a possibility for the 160iSE, but that it may not be available yet.  Hopefully the size of the chassis is not a constraint.

Kevin Hayes responded to my question by saying not at this time, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask every six months or so... you never know! 

Does anyone have any advice/experience on the reliability of Shuguang Black Treasure KT-88Z vs. the competing premium Chinese made brands - PSVane, Sophia?
FWIW I am switching back to VAC's KT88-SC going forward.  Sound is just great I now find and the reliability factor is top class.  They test their tubes thoroughly for use in their components.