Using Oppo 205 instead of per amp processor

Anyone using their Oppo 205 as a pre amp processor? if so, what are the pros and cons? I am looking into replacing my NAD 758 receiver with separates for my HT and secondary system. I'm thinking i can save myself some money by purchasing the Oppo instead of a pre amp processor but, not sure if the Oppo was designed to be used like that without issue. I know the Oppo doesn't have room correction and was told by magnolia, the volume control is fixed only no variable? Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have one on display to audition. Any feed back is much appreciated. My current set up: Primaluna HP integrated, Sony HAP1ZES, Cambridge BD 752 player, Klispch Heresy 111 70th anniversary edition speakers, cables Tellurium Q ultra black SC and jumpers, FMS microwave IC's, and a Wadi 171i transport that i use with my iphone/ipad.

Thanks
Brian
brian27b
Hi unsound,

Good point, mismatches can cause issues.

Thanks,
Tim
I am looking to do something similar, but just for Home Theater, not so much for music. So I purchased an Oppo-UDP-203 and have it currently connected to my Marrantz AV7005. However the Marrantz does not support 4K UHD, but then neither does my TV. I am looking at getting a new Sony 65" 4K TV, and then at the point should I:
1. connect Oppo (HDMI 2.0) directly to TV
2. Eliminate Marrantz and go analog direct to my Parrasound 5 channel amp.

Problem is I have two other devices (Apple TV and Telus box for TV) and only one HDMI input on Oppo.  I could get rid of the Apple as Telus device is pretty much doing everything Apple does (movies, Netflix Youtube etc), but my whole house and phones are Apple so displaying pics and other music streaming via Apple is easy and convenient at times, though I must say I don;t do that often.

I am thinking all those devices should go directly to the TV, and have the TV do the switching and then ARC or digital out from TV back to the Oppo. What do you think??

Or are there any preamp/sourround processors only (no video processing) that I should be looking at. Anthem AV60 is one option as I believe the Video is basically pass through, but is spending $3k for HDMI switching and room correction really worth it?
Might add that the HT is in the basement, my Music is a separate system upstairs. Mac Mini/Audioquest USB/DacMagic plus/Quad 34 pre/Quad 405 amp/B&W CM6S2 book shelf speakers. With Oracle Alexandria turntable. I have recapped the QUAD 405 and added dual PSU. I enjoy the sound very much and really not looking to spend any more money here, other than possible room acoustic panels.

One of the other reasons for Oppo was it is Roon ready and I have a wired ethernet connection to it. So should I go Roon on my Mac Mini and thus can play my music easily on either system. My music library consists of newly rippled CD's (AIFF) and some high res files I obtained from other sources. Anyone have much experience with Roon?
roy1919,

You have some very specific requirements that I would recommend a good local a/v installer would be best able to solve for you.  Sorry, I don't have better answers for your particular situation.  

Tim
Noble, I have been considering a setup similar to yours, but was concerned about the difference in the Oppo’s outputs on XLR vs RCA. Doesn’t that create a mismatch? My plan due to limited funds right now is to use the 205 as the pre. The old AVR I have has 7.1 audio inputs so I can use that as the ‘multichannel amp’ for H/T, and my existing Odyssey amp for the mains. My only sources are CD, streaming, and DirecTV. I’ve never used XLR, but my local dealer says the Odyssey would be ideal to use them, but I didn’t know how the balance would work with the RCA into the AVR.

thanks