Using Oppo 205 instead of per amp processor

Anyone using their Oppo 205 as a pre amp processor? if so, what are the pros and cons? I am looking into replacing my NAD 758 receiver with separates for my HT and secondary system. I'm thinking i can save myself some money by purchasing the Oppo instead of a pre amp processor but, not sure if the Oppo was designed to be used like that without issue. I know the Oppo doesn't have room correction and was told by magnolia, the volume control is fixed only no variable? Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have one on display to audition. Any feed back is much appreciated. My current set up: Primaluna HP integrated, Sony HAP1ZES, Cambridge BD 752 player, Klispch Heresy 111 70th anniversary edition speakers, cables Tellurium Q ultra black SC and jumpers, FMS microwave IC's, and a Wadi 171i transport that i use with my iphone/ipad.

Thanks
Brian
brian27b
Hi all,
In resent times I had invested in high quality seperate components in an attempt to jag that which is most sort after of all.....
high fidelity sound
Except for the brand spanking new Oppo 205, the rest of the system ranges back to 2000 or so.
For those considering aging equipment based on the reputation of their greatness from back in the day,
let me say: consider with both amps and prepros that after 10 years you may be up for re capping multi channel amps and processors. Also compatibility issues with modern codecs are an issue for older prepros.
I got caught out here!
My gear: Meridian 558 5ch amp, meridian g68 AVD, 621hdmi switch, Dynaudio and now the Oppo 205.
My g68 is currently being fixed as it has developed an issue with the digital to anolg conversion.

The g68 has room correction and can connect up to hdmi v1.4,
But can’t process DD+ etc,
Question:
so do I...
leave the g68 in the system and use the oppo to LPCM into the Meridian via 621 switcher with hdmi
or
RCA unbalance from oppo into the 5 chanel in of the meridian g68 then 5 chanel out to the 558.
Either of the above give the advantage of room correction and preamp conectivity.
Or
remove the g68, get stuff all for it selling it, or use it in a 2 chanel music listening system in another room.
If I just use the oppo as the prepro,
I could use the xlr balanced for 2 front chanels direct to my 558 and hook up the rears and centre direct to the 558 via the rca unbalanced.
Naturaly the picture would go direct to my tv via hdmi.
Side note:
I have some solid silver 3 core conductor rca interconnects, would just need a pair of xlrs.

Hi paulrp0,

I would suggest you just use the 205 as the prepro and use a good pair of XLRs to hookup the stereo l+r/front l+r Oppo outputs direct to your Meridian 568 5ch amp.  Then hookup the rears and center direct to the 568 via rca unbalanced cables.  The result is simple, direct and streamlined connections between prepro and amp that I'm almost certain would sound very good.

This is the hookup I use on my Oppo 105 and I know for certain that it sounds very good for both 2-ch stereo and 5.1 surround.  Including your g68 AVD and HDMI switcher in the chain seems redundant and unnecessary to me.  The 205 uses multiple excellent and expensive Saber dacs with volume adjustments communicated digitally to, and actually performed on, each channel's dac chip so there's no dropped bits and missing information. 
     There's also also an audio setup menu that allows you to set the relative volume of each channel and whether or not you want bass assistance from your sub.  But there's no actual room correction with a mic, software and parametric equalization.  It's completely sufficient for my needs but may not be for yours.
     I'm really not familiar with the performance level of your g68 and whether you consider room correction a requirement but, of course, you could always audition and compare your system performance with and without the g68 and just choose the one you like best.

Tim    

@noble100 , that’s exactly how I’m running my 205 and works great. The 2 channel using XLRs direct to amp is very good.

I am unfortunate not to have access to modwright's modifications to the Oppo (105 &205) to make them sonically better if that can be detected. Different, but better? I can't offer an opinion but many subscribers expound on the improvement.

I have eventually split my system into 2. One for stereo, one for HT and the equipment to suit. Its understandable that most cannot do this but I am just retired and got sick of trying to get quality stereo from my HT system, despite going straight through to the front speakers.

I learnt that HT speakers are not audiophile and vica versa. So I split them so that the only connection is AC and /Ethernet. I have only retired so am able to have access to funds accumulated over a working lifetime (despite my wonderful better half wanting to divert available $ to travel).

So I have for HT: MK300 in an Atmos setup with Anthem AV60, 1 x 525 and 2 x 325s, Oppo 205 and Bluesound Node2 and a 65" HDTV not purchased yet.

The stereo is dCS DAC, Bridge and Clock, an Oppo 105 or Pioneer BDP-52 (wonderful rich sound), Ayre K3x, Kuzma Stabi Reference + Stogi Reference Tonearm, J Allaerts MC1Boron, Clearaudio cartridge and some beautiful speakers being hand built in Colorado by a most experienced engineer. Not telling what or who yet, but these will be a livelong promise. Also having 2xEqui=Core 1800's and 2xDeep Core's shipped in.

I figure with some ailments I have, music is one thing I will not give up, and I enjoy HT when I get the time with family. They enjoy it too!

I haven't the funds for a theatre, or dedicated music room so they share duty. Music is bliss, HT is pretty good too. :)