Using Oppo 205 instead of per amp processor

Anyone using their Oppo 205 as a pre amp processor? if so, what are the pros and cons? I am looking into replacing my NAD 758 receiver with separates for my HT and secondary system. I'm thinking i can save myself some money by purchasing the Oppo instead of a pre amp processor but, not sure if the Oppo was designed to be used like that without issue. I know the Oppo doesn't have room correction and was told by magnolia, the volume control is fixed only no variable? Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have one on display to audition. Any feed back is much appreciated. My current set up: Primaluna HP integrated, Sony HAP1ZES, Cambridge BD 752 player, Klispch Heresy 111 70th anniversary edition speakers, cables Tellurium Q ultra black SC and jumpers, FMS microwave IC's, and a Wadi 171i transport that i use with my iphone/ipad.

Thanks
Brian
brian27b

Showing 6 responses by willemj

The Oppo will be perfectly fine as a pre-amplifier. Contrary to what you were told it has variable outputs (both rca and xlr). See here for their directions:
https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blogs/reviews-resources/15420449-using-your-oppo-as-a-pre-amplifier
In fact, it will beat the pre amp section of your Primaluna hands down. However, I am not quite sure what your plan is: do you intend to merge HT and stereo into one system?
I have also integrated HT and stereo, but into a stereo HT system. HT is not important enough for me, and my main speakers (Quad 2805 electrostats) are bulky enough as a pair. The sound is great even if I am missing out on some of the surround effects. I did add a subwoofer (B&W PV1d) tamed by an Antimode 8033 room eq unit.
There is enough internal bit depth for digital volume controls not to be problem anymore. There is an online Sabre document on this somewhere.
I am not sure Randy's post implied criticism of the business model. He uses an Oppo, even if he - to me - surprisingly combines it with a unit to alter the neutral sound to make it more 'euphonic'. That would not be my idea of high end audio, but I guess my preference for neutrality is a personal one. The Oppo certainly produces that neutrality.
He wouldn’t be the only inarticulate poster here (although I sometimes rather enjoy his posts). There are times when I think some here do not only know nothing about science, but know no grammar either. A little bit of extra effort goes a long way.
An Oppo 105 or 205 is indeed a perfect preamplifier - you do not need an extra pre amp in the chain. All it will do is potentially degrade the sound (and cost you money that could be spent better elsewhere).