Using Japan 100V Accuphase amp in US 120V. Safe?

I bought an Accuphase E-212 from audiogon recently.
On the back of the unit it clearly shows 100v which is Japaness voltage. I spoke with the seller about this issue and he told me that Accuphase are made universal, which means that you can run 100V amp made for Japaness in US as well. I don't agree with him. According to Accuphase catelog, the US amps has 120V printed on the back of E-212.
The link is www.accuphase.com/pdf/e-212_e.pdf
Can I run 100V amp in US 120v? Anybody has ideas? Thanks.
cyuagain

Showing 1 response by redkiwi

Sorry, you will need to find someone with specific knowledge of the Accuphase But if the transformer is truly designed for 100V then it will likely be stressed at 120V and therefore vibrate and hum more than it should. I have experienced this with operating 220V transformers at 240V and the problem was not significant enough for concern, but the difference between 100 and 120V is twice that. If it was me, I would open the unit up and examine the input side of the transformer. If there are more than two cables or tags going into the primary side then you can probably conclude the conversion job will be simple. If the transformer connects directly onto a circuit board then look for jumpers on the board labelled with terms like 100V etc. They will be close to the transformer. I am not a sparky but can usually work out how to convert anything that can be converted, just by tracing the connections and using a meter. If you have a look inside and post what you see I can comment further.