Using Denon 3803 as pre/pro a good idea?

I'm new to this website so excuse my ignorance in advance...
I've recently pulled my old separates (PS Audio 4.6/B&K ST140) and installed a Denon 3803 as the financial burden of purchasing full separates for HT was more than I could talk the wife into. I'm running B&W CDM 7NT's, a CNT, and 1NT's for surround with a Sony CDP700(?) via optical to the Denon. Movies are more than acceptable but music reproduction has suffered. I'm considering hooking up my ST140 to the front L/R and running in "Pure Direct". I'm mainly trying to improve the sweetness of the sound and dynamics that seem to be missing using the Denon. I should say that I've only had the system running for about 4 weeks so burn-in may not be complete. An audiophile friend opined that hooking up the B&K would be a bad idea, especially during movies, as it will present different amperage(?) loads (sorry, can't remember as he was waaay above my head) to the pre/pro while using the inline amps for center/surr. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
topspeed

Showing 1 response by pe3046

I have done this with a 2801 and rotel/acurus amps and had better results, but then I switched to a sony 9000es pre/amp and digital sources sounded very good but music was still to bright. Installed line stage ps audio 6.0 pre and run the inputs into my 9000esn 5 channel amp's second input and there is no comparison. The analog pre is much better for music.