Using an external word clock with Esoteric cd/sacd players

Considering the use of an external word clock with my Esoteric cd/sacd player, it has a word clock BNC input. Wanted to ask two questions;
1.) Are you relegated to using only an Esoteric word clock device? or
2.) Can you use another manufacturer like some of the pro audio word clocks, eg. Antelope OCXHD, Black Lion, Tascam, etc.?
Thanks for your input.
audibleguy
But I’ve kicked around the idea of playing with a reclocker at some point, just to answer for myself if I can hear a difference. 

@toddrhodes

To my ears, there was a significant shift in capabilities of DAC's from before 2010 to after. I don't know what it was, but here's what I have heard:
Prior to 2010, HiRez was significantly better than Red Book playback.

After 2010, a number of DAC's made this difference almost, if not completely, imperceptible.  Whiel HiRez playback has been consistent, Red Book has really improved.

I wish I knew why, but I suspect better, cheaper oscillator chips hitting the market, or perhaps better receivers?

Anyway, point is, I have tried reclockers. You have to be aware they are not bit-perfect. But, they do work with:
  • Poor sources like cheap streamers (Google, Apple)
  • Old DACs

With new DAC's I can't hear a difference at all.

@erik_squires 

Thanks for that! For me it's a matter of not expecting a change, but seeing what different things do with various components. That said, your post is well-taken and I'll likely just abandon that idea unless I get incredibly bored :) I'm learning how to DIY cables anyway so I'll just focus more on that.

I started my "audio room" with files and DACs and Audio PCs back in 2013, 2014. I remember oodles of detail, very quiet backgrounds, etc... but a certain musicality just not being there. I was looking into the music, not listening to it. This current digital setup, a Jay's transport and Yggy Analog 2, using just basic RB CDs, has combined those two elements. If I so choose, I can unfold the sonic picture like a magic eye puzzle and focus on whatever I want to. Or, I can crank it up and just jam to it. Both are equally as fun and equally as rewarding. I'm honestly flabbergasted by it, but feel very fortunate to have this experience. If I were to quantify it, I'd say my current setup is 50/50 introspective/musical. The prior transport, a TASCAM (using a Jay's now) was about 25/75, so it was really fun to listen to, but not as resolving and all-showing like the Jay's is. Now that doesn't mean the Jay's is 25% less fun to listen to, it's actually more fun as well but its blend of both qualities is what I'm trying to quantify if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm far afield here, sorry OP. But I do agree that at least in my own very recent experience, RB playback is light years better than what I remember from days gone by, and my turntable is presently collecting dust and I just simply don't worry about files/streaming down in the audio room.

Todd

NEW PRODUCT JUST ANNOUNCED TODAY:
Cybershaft 10 M clocks : UPOCXO-OP20A/OP21A
http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/op20a.html

Looks like the bar just got raised again.