Using an Empire 1000 ZE/X

I have bought a NOS stylus and Empire 1000 ZE/X and tried it on my three arms (Ikeda IT-407; Morch DP6 red point; Audiocraft AC-3300). It performs best on the Morch but still lacks the definition and drama afforded by my standard-bearing Nagaoka MP-50 cartridge.

Can anyone advise how I might get better performance from this former top of the range Empire? I would particularly appreciate any advice from actual owners (few as they seem to be) on the perfect set up - including tonearm, SRA, VTF etc.

I really hope to get firmer imaging and presence nearer to that offered through my Nagaoka. The Empire's midrange is phenomenal as is its staging but imaging and dramatic contrast need help.

Thanks in advance (and hope)

Dgob

dgob

Showing 1 response by texray

Forget it. The Empire 1000 cart had no highs unless you turned up the treble control to max. And it had a very high compliance which made for a very fragile stylus assembly that after some use and often new out of the box, the cartridge body would bottom out (contact the record). It had an elipitical stylus which is nowhere remotely as good as a shibata or shibata knock-off. If you want to try a really decent vintage Empire out, try a model 4000D/I, II or III. They are quad carts with a bi-radial stylus, one shibata knock-off type. Much better sounding and the treble although still rolled off, it's not as bad and the sound is terrific if you jack the treble control up a lot.

Also try and find a Pickering XSV-4000 or 5000. They have shibata knock-off stylus too, a stereohedron. And also look for Pickering's qud cart, the model number of which I don't remember. Pickerings always have elevated treble response. And that shorter cantilever helps delivers clearer sound. But they can cause more record wear than the Empires.