Using a 220v amplification equipment in the US

I am building a strictly 2ch system for my study- I have become very interested in the current chinese offerings as several friends in Europe have recently gone in that direction and are extremely happy with the result- particularly the excellent price/performance ratio.

Some of the equipment that has been recommended to me is not available in 110v and I am not entirely sure if performance will be compromised by using 220v units with a good adapter/converter (at least 500w)...

I was looking at a couple of interesting integrated amplifiers offered by NY Sound which in fact offer the model and/or brand I was looking at with 220v power supplies....I am matching this with a Musical Fidelity X-Ray v3 and tube buffer (110v) in terms of front end and eventually with either Harbeth or Gallo Ref3 speakers...

Would be very interested in your thoughts....
Which of the amps are you interested in. I have been thinking about trying one of the Dussun amps. Most likely the V8i. If I do, I will get it from They are the only authorized imported in the US. And they do have them in 110v. From the factory, not some grey market jobs.
My understanding is that with 220v, your equipment will be sound more pristine (lowered noise-floor, etc.) and run a bit more efficiently or effortlessly.

Since you would or should be running dedicated circuits/ lines for each component, then those components requiring 220v could be wired as such by an electrician.

I think the Nuforce Ref 9 and SE amps and a few other 110v components can also run at 220 volts without any converters or component rewiring. But you definitely should confirm before attempting such endeavors.

Personally, I would like to convert all of my components to run at 220v because I think the potential for sonic gain could be a little startling.

don't mess with them. no factory warranty
also...spent a year in the uk and 220 is no improvement over 110.
Not worth the trouble IMHO. The extra transformer required and electrical work. It will sound just the same (as it should do). (My stuff did when moved from 220 v to 110 V)
that Dussun V8 is built like a is well-built and heavy which is weighs 90 lbs..
Putting in 220v dedicated circuits in your house (in the US) seems like it would be expensive because of the wire and plugs you'd have to use (or is that only necessary for dryers and electric ranges?)

Now, I don't know how they do 220V in Europe or Asia, but in this country it would mean that you are automatically feeding your components balanced power, which should really improve dynamics and reduce noise to nothing.
Thank you all for you responses- I think I would rather not delve into a techician rewiring the units internally- my thought is just to use an external converter/transformer that will covert the 110v from the socket to 220v...I also do not want to have a dedicated 220v line to my study as this would be very expensive....theoretically there should not be any deterioration though there is some 10hz difference in the AC cycle...this though should not affect an amp (vs a cd player or turntable)....
As of now I can't seem to find a reason why the units' performance would be affected.....
The specific units I am looking at are the shengya a202 intergrated and the Fomix integrated...have also been researching the Jungson JA88d (which is avail at 110v but at what seems to be an overly aggressive distributor mark-up)....
To me, this sounds like the proverbial Rube Goldberg solution to a problem that doesn't even yet exist (your owning 220V equipment). There's really nothing available in 110V, new or used, as good as these Chinese components?
I've used convertors on source equiptment and converted, internally to 110V. Shouldn't have bothered, convertor sounded better by small degree but had a bit of mechanical hum.

Trying to find a convertor with the current for amplifiers might be a challenge. Transformers are usually step-down, not step-up. Let's say, for example, that the amp draws 500W. At 220V, thats about 2.25 amps. Double that for the 110V side and double again for "reality factor" and your dealing with 9 amps or 1 KVA. Unfortunately, transformers/convertors are rated for the output side, so you'll probably have to double the rating. Big, expensive convertor.

On the other hand, you can splice into the stove or dryer power and add a split-phase subpanel with dual 15 amp breakers. I've done that and as long as I don't cook an entire Christmas dinner with the stereo blasting, no breakers need to be reset. Difference is that I still use 110V outlets. There are double horizontal outlets and plugs to prevent somebody from plugging a vacuum into the 220V (that would be bad). You have to use wire rated for the source breaker, so you'll need 3 conductor 6 or 8 guage with ground up to the subpanel. Splicing takes ground clips and rubber tape inside a proper enclosure. They don't make wire nuts that big. What you'll have is 2 hots at 110V each (out of phase and complimentary), one unused neutral and a ground as normal. The two hots would be wired as hot/neutral. Might freak an inspector, but it works. Warning: There is some equipment that is not compatible with balanced power.
thanks again....
and steveaudio...i see your point however having heard what some of these chinese amps can do and seen what the equivalent cost from one of the many very high quality intergrateds we have available at 110v, no, there is very little available at the same performance/price ratio.....the difference is in the 3 to 4 times order of magnitude range...a very good Class A output chinese amp comes in well under $1000...if we assume that a fairly powerful converter/transformer is all you need then frankly it makes sense...a lot of sense...
As Ngjockey correctly points out you need to make sure you get something powerful enough for the current draw....a 2000watt convertor will cost say $300...still well ahead of the game