Usher CP-8571 II - Long term opinions?

I curious if any agoners own this Usher Dancer CP-8571 II speaker and would care to share their opinions.

I'm noodling around for a speaker in this (preowned ~$4k to $5k) price range and from various reviews and the reading, it appears to be a speaker with a lot of merit.

I currently have BEL 1001 mk V monoblocks and/or Cayin 860 triode monoblocks to work with. I'll end up selling one of these two after landing on a speaker. I'm looking for a speaker that is (very) slightly on the romantic side vs the ultra transparent monitor side.

Also on my short list is Harbeth S HL5's and Merlin VSM-MXes.

Thanks,
Ken
kenreau

Showing 5 responses by kenreau

Thanks guys. I will make it a point to track these down for a listening session. It sounds like they are like many higher end models that are transparent and sound like what ever is upstream feeding them.
Audphile1

You said "For what the Ushers cost on the used market, I think a better speaker can be had"

What's on that better speaker lise (say under$5K). I assume you passed on the Virgos. What's on your short list?

Thx,
Kenreau
...preferences and perception also would play a part.

Absolutely agreed. Silk vs metal tweeters, etc.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll add the Dynaudio and Aerials to the list. Plus, I just recalled the Joseph Audio line used to get some great press a while back.

The journey continues.
I'm looking for a speaker that is (very) slightly on the romantic side in lieu of the ultra transparent monitor side.

I currently have Merlin VSM-MMs and I consider them in that same ultra resolution/transparent/careful component matching thread. I've read the current VSM-MXe is a little more forgiving of upstream components and fuller sounding. This is my second pair of Merlins and I have really enjoyed them over the past 8 years. Perfect size/shape for WAF and fantastic sounding. That is why the MXe is on my short wish list. More or less ready to try something else and looking on the romantic side of things.

Thanks,
Ken
I forgot about SF Cremona and they are in my budget range (used). I've noticed the Cremon "M" version is now out, but way out of my budget range. I was just looking at the Verity ad wondering the same thing. The Verity is not much to look at, more like a DIY speaker project. Both great suggestions though. I had Dali's on my list for a short while but they seem to get flipped frequently, especially those in my budget range.

So, in summary, on my list is;
Usher 8571 II.
Merlin VSM-MXe.
SF Cremona.
Joseph Audion RM33.
Harbeth S HL5.
Aerial 9 or 10.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Ken