Used vs. new

I am struggling with the decision of buying B&W 804 D4 or an older model like the 802 /803 D3 . I have the same issue with automobiles too.but  for now we can stick to the issue of speakers.

geosims1

What is your system, audio history.

Speakers from the same manufacturer at the same level in each generation sound cut from the same cloth… but better. There is no reason to release a new model without improvement.

Do you turn audio equipment… or do you expect to keep for ten or twenty years. If the later… new ones and you have listened to them correct. 

Do you have appropriate electronics to feed them.. or are you going to upgrade your electronics to support the new speakers. 

Do you swap cars a lot, of are they just transportation? 

My humble advise to you is to buy good, used equipment with a proved reference or near reference status for no more than the current used market value or less. Ask yourself the question - how many of the new/current hifi equipment would stand the time and eventually become timeless and desirable in a long run? Not many. Learn from the best and proven equipment without loosing a lot of money and don’t gamble on new equipment with no proven track record. This advise is not only about saving money, but the right and only way to learn.  Learn from the best, proven equipment, and not from the new with no track record. Just because the company has long record, it doesn't mean that the new equipment they introduce on the market will be up to par. 

Newer speakers from the same manufacturer are not always better sounding and can just be different. I would look to buy a good used pair and use any left over funds to upgrade somewhere else

@OP. If your choice is between a D4 or D2/3 802, get a used one - they are more natural sounding than the D4 (within the overall context of those speakers generally having a distinctive house sound). Make sure an second hand pair is fully tested though as spares - tweeters in particular - can be difficult to get.

B&W : you may get better speakers for less.

B&W`s are known to be bright. You may need to spend more on your electronics to tame that bright sound, and have some amp power to drive them.

I own the 804N. Great bass. It puzzles me that others have claimed lack of bass in their B&W`s.