Used tubes question

I bought a used quad of xf2's. They were cheap, 150.00 bucks, so I figured I'd give this older-mullard-tube-thing one reads about so much a listen. Now I worry about putting them in my intergrated. I have a Leben CS-600 and fear it going up in flames. The seller said they were closely matched and tested on his such and such tester. He had plenty of positive feedback. Should I just pop 'em in and see what happens? What is the worst that can happen?
128x128oldsalt

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

Borders on a musical epiphany, does it not? As Trelja noted: The built quality back then was much better than that exhibited in today's manufacturing. Try to locate either TungSol or Sylvania 6CS7 dual triodes, for the preamp section(must be closely matched pairs and low noise). Small signal tubes have a major effect on presentation. Many don't realize how much can be gained with a NOS tube in the power supply. Replace that 6CJ3 rectifier for even more musical enjoyment. Welcome to the wonderful world of tube rolling. Happy listening!! =8^)
Finding TungSols in matched pairs will be hard to do(no- I can't cite a good source), but worth the effort if you can locate some that are low enough noise for a preamp section. Depending on what half wave rectifier you are presently using(ie: Chinese), you should have an audible improvement by installing say, a NOS RCA. They're selling for around $5 now, so the experiment will be cheap. Too bad there aren't any Mullards out there.
Those that don't experiment with NOS tubes, just don't know what they're missing. Enjoy your music!! =8^)