Used tube pre-amp around $1,000

I'm thinking of upgrading my pre amp. I currently have a CJ PV10al & my first instinct would be to go higher up the CJ line. I have a set of Tyler Reference Monitors with matching sub & need another line out of my pre amp. The rest of my system is a DNA-1, Phillips 963SA, Tascam DAT deck with DH Labs, MIT & Analysis Plus cables. I think the system sounds fantastic but want a "little" more detail & larger soundstage.

The problem with staying in the CJ line is the cost. I don't know if the 12 is worth the jump & the 14 is a little more than I care to spend at this time. Are there any choices out there that will provide a marked improvement & keep me around my $1,000 budget? A remote would be a plus but not that important to me. It must have two outs & be tubed.

Audible Illusions seems to top the list in this price range but I hear they are rather tough on tubes. I am also considering adding a turntable to my rig in the future. So what are some great used pre-amps in my budget?
fishwater

Showing 2 responses by sstark

AI Mod3, no need for 3A and those hideous stepped attenuators. Get 6H23 tubes from Upscale Audio for about $100. The tubes will last forever and so will that sweet sound.
AI sound is just specatular for the used price of a Mod3. I've never heard it equaled for as little as $500 used. It's holographic and also has that sweet tube sound. Phono beats multichannel digital sound, e.g. SACD. But there are some issues-it eats tubes, stepped attenuators in newer 3A just too inflexible, and stay away from CD input use AUX which has no resistors.