Used tube pre-amp around $1,000

I'm thinking of upgrading my pre amp. I currently have a CJ PV10al & my first instinct would be to go higher up the CJ line. I have a set of Tyler Reference Monitors with matching sub & need another line out of my pre amp. The rest of my system is a DNA-1, Phillips 963SA, Tascam DAT deck with DH Labs, MIT & Analysis Plus cables. I think the system sounds fantastic but want a "little" more detail & larger soundstage.

The problem with staying in the CJ line is the cost. I don't know if the 12 is worth the jump & the 14 is a little more than I care to spend at this time. Are there any choices out there that will provide a marked improvement & keep me around my $1,000 budget? A remote would be a plus but not that important to me. It must have two outs & be tubed.

Audible Illusions seems to top the list in this price range but I hear they are rather tough on tubes. I am also considering adding a turntable to my rig in the future. So what are some great used pre-amps in my budget?
fishwater

Showing 2 responses by artmaltman

The AI stepped attentuators have steps that are sonicly too big, so you may not be able to achieve the precise volume you are seeking. Still, the quality of sound is remarkable.
I suggest get an AI and change the tubes every year. Seriously. The M3a, or an older M3 if budget is tight. AI is clearer and more detailed than CJ at the price point you are describing, although you will give up that hint of CJ sweetness. AI is not harsh though, it's a nicely balanced sound. IMO.