used SET amp under $1500 suggestion

As stated in another thread, I have problem of having too much gain in my system. I am considering buying a SET amp to drive a pair of Zu omen definition, and looking for suggestion. I have too options:

1) keeping my PrimaLuna Prologue 3 preamp and buy a SET power amp or mono block. I like the PrimaLuna sound, so, I prefer to keep it. However, in this case, my budge is under $1500. To work with the PrimaLuna, I need an amp with input impedance > 100k Ohm. And the PrimaLuna has a gain of 12 dB. My current McCormack has 30dB gain which is too loud. So .. likely, I prefer something not exceeding 20dB gain?

2) sell the PrimaLuan preamp, and replaced with an integrated SET amp. I prefer option 1 because I don't know if I will like the sound of the integrated. But if I get an integrated, my budget increase to $2500, and it seems it open up more choices.

I read the 6moons and other review, it seems the Almarro and Yamamoto are 2 highly recommended SET choices, but they are both quite expensive. Is there any other choices? Thanks in advance.
gte357s

Showing 2 responses by coltrane1

At the $2500 budgetary max for an integrated I'd acquire a Grant Fidelity A534B, a 9 watt 300B Class A SET design maxed out with premium black treasure tubes, both 300b and 6CA7's, and psvane 12ax7 drivers, and still have a bit left over for vinyl or cd. Complete with remote!

I've owned Prima Luna, BAT, VTL, Plinius, some decent gear over the years, but for my ears nothing tops the A534B juiced up on black treasure tubes...that combo is my reference now. But don't let the 9 watts of the design fool you, it pushes electostats with ease, and for the average person it would be the only amp they'd ever need.
Charles1dad, for sure it would coast driving Zu's or any other higher sensitivity rated speaker. But I was truly amazed that the amp was capable of driving a pair of electrostats that commonly dip below 2 ohms. This modestly priced integ loaded with black treasures encouraged me to sell off far more expensive gear. It's a very impressive amp and I'm surprised more listeners aren't beating a path to Grant Fidelity's door in an attempt to land one.

Get this, my former VK300XSE clipped out at 85dB driving a pair of cls iiz's but this modestly priced lower power 300B just chugged along as if it was pushing a pair of ZU's - that's sum trick.