Used CD player for 200-300

I want to purchase used cd player. I say used because I'm hoping I can get a better used player for this price than one could get new. For instance I have seen an Ultech cd player which is nearly ten years old for sale, and I have read good things about them. I thought I would ask for a few opinions. I have also toyed with the idea of using a Denon 2910 DVD player or something like it instead. A few opinions/suggestions would be nice. I'm quite tempted by the Ultech because I like simplicity, like the old phrase "less is more".
jdfelice

Showing 2 responses by reubent

Jd,

I recall Ultech from many years ago, but haven't heard their name much/any over the last few years. This would concern me if I were thinking of buying a used Ultech. Is the company still in business? Are parts available?

CD players are notorious for needing either laser or transports replaced after they get some age on them. The Ultech is at the age where it could be expected to have a laser or transport failure in the next couple of years (if not sooner).

I'm not trying to talk you out if the Ultech if you have your mind set on it, but I would suggest that you insure it can be serviced before you spend your money.

BTW, even some very popular high end players are becoming high priced boat anchors when they fail because the transport parts are no longer available. Just make sure you do your homework before buying an old player.....

Enjoy,

TIC
Jdfelice,

In addition to a couple of big-buck dedicated CD players, I also own an Oppo Universal Player. Considering the Oppo is a Universal player and some of the Denons are Univeral or multi-format players, I can't figure out what you mean by this statement:

The Oppo's seem to be respectable, but this would not fit my simplicity preference. I always like Denon equipment, is there a Denon model that would be worth buying?

The Oppo and the Denon would be equally "not simple". Honestly, the Oppos are really good for the price. They play CD, HDCD, DVD, DVD-A and SACD. The only issue with the Oppo, or any other universal player, is that they load slowly compared to a dedicated CD player, and you may need to connect to a TV for some functions, like setup for the hi-res formats, etc.

I'm not saying the Oppos are the best $200-$300 players, but they have incredible funtionality, sound very good (considering the price) and generally have unbeatable video quality. They only lack the "jewel-like" build of some of the more expensive units.

Oh, and speaking of simplicity, most/all of the Oppos have variable volume control so you could connect them directly to a power amp, bypassing a pre-amp, if you choos to. I have my highly mod'd Oppo 970 connected direcly to my amps and the built-in remote controlled variable volume control works great for all formats. It's a nice feature that most manufactuers ingore.

Enjoy,

TIC