Use this song if you are doing an A/B with Preamps

Sixty Years On by Elton John.
A Demanding song with Orchestra, and a Lot of Head Room.
Played loud, it reveals Intense Strings and Swells
Whichever Preamp does That best, Wins !
The other one goes up for sale, period.

Cheers all !

fact33
@elizabeth7: CORRECT!  Thank-you!!

If you want vinyl, try (for the 10,000th time on here) The LINCOLN MAYORGA Direct-to-Disk recordings or similar ones made that way.

Gosh, I am tired of typing that title.  Are there really tons of current audiophiles that do NOT know about these recordings?  If so, please do some research.

Even if you are a relatively new, say, teenage audiophile, I would guess you would know about the basics and about those items that help you make informed PERSONAL decisions about what YOU like in YOUR ROOM.  If not, try that one.

To our younger, newer audiophiles:  If there were a perfect system for everyone, there would be ONE manufacturer of every component.  I can see by looking around that this is is NOT TRUE!  (OH, MY!)

That tells me that people have personal opinions about what they like in their personal music listening area.  Thank goodness!  Now, go out there and find what YOU like in YOUR ROOM and enjoy the music!

Cheers,

Richard
@richopp Thank God you’re here to keep us all in line.

Truth is, the Mayorga recordings suffer from a common affliction typical for "audiophile" releases of the 80s of being great recordings of mediocre music. I know, I still have many of them.
And his masterpiece Tumbleweed Connection. Come down in time and so on.
Elton was really great before he became too big...and lost Bernie. His voice often recorded a little to "hot". Not so much on his collaboration with Leon Russel. 
Post removed 
Of course you should use recordings you know and love.Nothing wrong with enjoying something new and adding to your favorite evaluation tracks.

I saw EJ live twice and the recordings don't do him justice.He's an amazing piano player!He slurs his vocals so I can understand why he's recorded somewhat 'hot' to get more definition.I wish more time and care had been taken with the recordings,but it is pop music and they were cranking out album after album back in the day.