Use of a 110 VAC to 230 VAC Step-up Transformer for CD player.

What is the impact, if any, of  using a 110 VAC to 230 VAC step-up transformer,  to run a European CD player that is not readily available in 110 VAC in the US? The unit is not switchable between voltages. I am not conditioning my 110 VAC power currently. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
rmellor

Showing 2 responses by mgattmch

See my previous post on this subject. A simple step up transformer will work fine. I have had a lot of experience doing this over the years without incidents or degradation in sound quality.
50Hz versus 60Hz is only a problem with AC motors and stuff like Krell and Martin Logan equipment. This two manufacturers, I am sure there are others, install a frequency sensing chip in the power supply and will not allow the equipment to operate if you have the right voltage but wrong frequency, This is not true with older Krell gear. For example, I used my Krell KSA-250 in Europe and the States without issue, all I had to do was change some dip switches on the power supply to go from one voltage/frequency to the other.

AC synchronous motors, for example on TT, will not run at the right speed  if operated on the wrong frequency.