Use of a 110 VAC to 230 VAC Step-up Transformer for CD player.

What is the impact, if any, of  using a 110 VAC to 230 VAC step-up transformer,  to run a European CD player that is not readily available in 110 VAC in the US? The unit is not switchable between voltages. I am not conditioning my 110 VAC power currently. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
rmellor

Showing 2 responses by joeylawn36111

Make sure you know the wattage of the 220V equipment, and get a higher wattage rated step-up transformer for it. For example, if the device is using 50W, get a 100W step up transformer.

I have a component that runs off of 220V, and I used a 50W step-up transformer with it. Turns out, the component was pulling more than I thought it would, and the plastic case was starting to melt!

Also, give your step-up transformer "room to breathe". One of the reasons the one I mentioned above overheated was because it was directly plugged into a Monster power center, and physically touching said power center, not allowing enough air to circulate to cool the transformer.

Now, I'm using a 100W step-up unit, and one of those short extention cords that you often use on a power strip to prevent a 'wall wart' from hogging all the sockets.

Eventually, I'm just going to replace the internal transformer to a 110V version.
Sevs, sorry I don't really know. PLUS, I've discovered that sometimes you can't just replace the 220V transformer with a 110 version of the same output. My example above I said I was  going to replace the internal transformer to a 110V version, but when I did, I blew up the power supply! (I replaced the blown components, however, and re-installed the original 220V transformer. Safest thing to do in your case would be to get, say, a 100W step up unit like I did, so it won't overheat like my old 50W did.