Urgently need your input.

After what seemed like days of research I ordered the Onkyo HT-RC270 and received it 12 22 11. Thinking was that this would do everything I needed. Do not plan to hook it up for several days but after reading most of this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

am concerned about the risk.
Long story short it seems that Onkyo had a Quality Control problem with this receiver and many others (C270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 ) The problem is that many stop responding to commands from remote and the front panel. Apparently the only solution is to send in for service. This problem does not necessarily occur quickly. Many report problems after a year or more of no problems.

In order to install this unit I have to do a considerable amount of labor due to my cabinet.

Questions:
Should I
1 Just send it back to Amazon?
2 Call Onkyo and see what they can tell me based on serial no.?
3 Just set it up and see what happens.

At this moment I am leaning toward returning the unit.

I use seperate amps (Bryston 3B-ST front, Harman Kardon surrounds and zone 2)

Looking for a ht receiver with at least:

2zones
4 hdmi 1.3 in and 1 or 2 out
Audyssey EQ
5.1 analogue in
analogue in for all inputs

What would be a comparable unit that has a good track record but stays within a budget under $600?
Your advise appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
scoly1

Showing 2 responses by ml8764ag

I'd try #2 first... (however, I hope they consider Amazon (or if there was an actual subseller) an authorized dealer... If not they might but your chops...now or later...
Amazon is cool they'll take it back for any reason. HOWEVER, the RIGHT thing to do is to tell them you discovered this issue and now you lack confidence in the product and manufacturer. This will do two things.

1) It will let Amazon know of the issue (or hear of it again if they are aware) so they can pressure the manufacturer (they don't want to eat all those shipping returns.

2) It will introduce consequences...maybe Onkyo will then improve/adjust their quality control

If you don't do this..the cycle will definitely continue...and some other poor #$%^ will possibly get a defective unit when they "b-stock" it.