UPS. Friend Or Foe?

Recently shipped two speakers and the stands all in very good (8/10) condition to a buyer in another state. One speaker and the stands were in the factory boxes. The other speaker was boxed by UPS. The buyer sent pictures and stated they arrived damaged. One of the speakers had a rattle but no visible damage, the other speaker, (the one UPS boxed), had visible damage. Not surprisingly, the stands arrived unscathed.

All items were picked up by UPS in that city and taken for inspection.

And the results were...UPS is not at fault because they have a policy, buried in very fine print, that it is the shippers' (sellers') responsibility to ensure proper packaging.

My wife and I also found out the local UPS stores are legally not affiliated with UPS!!!

We are currently attempting to discuss this with the owner of the local store.

Sad but true...

tomcarr

Showing 1 response by mark360

Best way to ship any electronics is in a Pelican Case packed with dense foam and not loose fill. As far as speakers LTL in wooden crates on a pallet. UPS, Fed-X, USPS are parcel carriers and not freight. Why would anyone attempt to ship anything over the weight one person can lift is only asking for trouble. These shipping companies have adopted the deny and ignore policy like many insurance companies hoping you will give up and go away. Once I delivered a Sony tv just before the new style flat screens came out. It was an eBay purchase and the seller wrapped it in a blanket and it arrived destroyed. I told the new owner, UPS will never pay a claim while his face was in shock. Retired Teamster