Upgrading Wadia 170i IDoc to new 171 IPod dock

I have owned for about a year now the first Wadia 170i IPod dock and the $280 ICAudio upgraded power supply and lastly am using the Kimber illuminations D60 cable going to my DAC, which is actually a Cambridge AZURE 840C CD player. my question is has anybody upgraded to the latest 171i IPod dock and was it worth it? My current setup using lossless files sounds pretty good, but not quite as good as a CD. So please, with my current configuration and your experience with the new dock, is it worth the investment - Thanks!
Rpg
rpg

Showing 3 responses by kbarkamian

The 170i was nothing but problems. Some click wheels didn't work, sometimes you had to undock then re-dock the iPod, etc. I really wanted to buy one, but it was just ergonomically inept. Probably the worst piece I've been exposed to in a very, very long time.

Wadia's not doing too well with the iTransports IMO. I'd stay away until you're sure the 171i doesn't have these issues. Sucks to say that, as I think they're a great company. The 170i really made them look Bush League. Hopefully the 171i won't be a repeat of it.
Rpg,

I never owned a 170i. I demoed it a few times at 2 different dealers, trying to force myself to buy one. I'm not the only one who had issues, as there were a lot of people here and elsewhere that reported the same thing. The problem was/is the software. Some models of iPods are compatable for certain functions, some models have all functions working, and some have no functions.

My iPod Classic was supposed to be fully compatable. Wasn't compatable with a single dock I tried, which was about 5 or so. My iPod Nano had the same issues.

I'm glad you've had no issues. Again, I think it's software glitches, not faulty hardware. As I said before, Wadia is a great company. I just think they really dropped the ball on the 170i. Hopefully every iPod/iPad/iPhone works perfectly with the 171i.
Nglazer -

Not being a smartass; I have to ask...

If you don't trust computer music, etc., what exactly do you think an iPod is? How did you get the music onto it?