Upgrading the Cary 308T CD player

I decided to audition a CD player within $5000 which is clearly superior than my Cary 308T CD player, and borrowed a new Blue Note (named Blacknote CDP-300) player. The initial impression was very good - a very clear midrange, good dynamics, etc. I even tried to open the lid in order to replace the stock 6922 tubes with vintage tubes, but could not find proper tools for removing the lid.
Yesterday I noticed that the Blacknote player has a strange way of representing baroque and jazz music - the highs are muffled and it lacks articulation and consistency, as if the music is covered with a veil. Back to the Cary - the sound became rounder with crisper highs and firmer bass, though the midrange was muddier (the powercord was VH Audio AirSine). It is very strange, and I am going to investinate it futher.

What player within the $5000 range could you suggest as an upgrade for Cary 308T?

I will appreciate all opinions and comments.
transl

Showing 1 response by krisjan

FYI, the Cary 306 SACD player has now been replaced by the 306 Professional player. List price has risen to $7500 which is well above your stated price range. I would like to suggest that you consider the hi-end Marantz CD/SACD playersw (e.g. the SA11-S2 and the SA7-S1). I own the SA11-S2 ($3500 new) and it is an excellent player that beat out my former Cary 306 SACD player by a bit. Good luck in your search.