Upgrading the 326BEE

It will soon be time to take the next upgrade step in the living room music system. Currently, a laptop running J River 17 feeds an HRT+ streamer, into the Nad and into Klipsch forte's which are being recapped and tweaked. My preferred CD's are lossless and the rest are 320 MP3.

As for the 326BEE, I want to upgrade the preamp or power amp with a last generation Nad (C162 or c272). My question is which would give me a larger increase in sound quality? The BEE has plenty of power, this is a matter of improving refinement, detail and pace.
wdrazek

Showing 2 responses by wdrazek

Scott, thank you for your observations. I looked at all three of the models you mentioned and when a 326 came up on CL I jumped on it.

It does not surprise me that the preamp can make a major difference with this amp. While I am really pleased with what the 326BEE can do, there is some lack of inner detail and transparency that the c272 would likely not be able to add.

Once the forte's are all up to snuff I look forward to making the change you recommend. You are right about the forte's. Even with tired old caps they are impressive.

Wayne
I've perused the forums over at Ecoustics and they also are mostly of the opinion that the preamp is the weak link in the 32xBEE series. Interestingly, with the 272/372, NAD claims that the preamp section is class A. This claim has not been made for any of the 32xBEE models as far as I can see.

Since the 326BEE powers my forte's effortlessly when the time comes a nice and reasonably priced upgrade should be available.

Thanks to all.