Upgrading? Sophia/Dynaudio/Revel/Genesis 6.1 ?

I am looking to upgrade my existing speakers and could use some insight and recommendations. Let me give you the parameters and tell you what I have heard and what I have read. I am looking to spend less than $9k (ideally less than that) but have no issue with buying used gear that is in great condition. Also, my 16 X 20 room is not a dedicated listening room, has hardwood floors, a large area rug, and is acoustically active.

I have listened to the Wilson Sophia (~$8.5K used) and found them to be a solid performer. To my ears they have a mostly flat frequency response except for a slightly laid back upper midrange, and they lacked a wide 3D sound stage making them sound a little two-dimensional. I have heard the Dynaudio Confidence C2 (~$8.5k used) that have a wonderful holographic sound stage but lacked deep bass, have a large bump in the upper base frequencies making them sound boomy and a dip in the midrange making voices sound flat. I have heard the Revel Studio (~$6.5k used), but only in a small room, so I don’t have any strong opinions one way or another. I have read mostly good things about Revel including the Salon but I am concerned that the Ultima line may be aging a bit. I have listened to B & W and Martin Logan’s speakers but they are not my cup of tea. I liked the Thiel CS2.4 but I do not think that they are in the same league as the Sophia. They were very clean but too bright with some music and lacked deep bass. I am very curious as to what the new CS3.7 will sound like and what the pricing will be. I have read some glowing articles about the Genesis 6.1 (6.1or 6.1E). Has anyone heard them and do you have an opinion as to how they compare to what I am looking at? Genesis does not appear to have too many dealers, none in MA or NH that I am aware of, which makes it difficult and I heard they just increased the price from $9.3k to $11.8k! I am also curious as to how possibly the Canton Vento 809 DC or the Vienna Acoustics Mahler stacks up. If there are other speakers you would recommend, keep them mainstream since many, like the Genesis, are hard to find. I look forward to your comments. Thanks.
128x128cdj123

Showing 1 response by sd2005gt

The Sophias are truly amazing. It takes time to find the right interconnects and powercords to make them sound their best - sweet high, beautiful mid-range blooms and strong Bass – UNBELIEVABLE!. It took me over a year playing with different powercords. It is amazing how one powercord can make or break the system. I have tried different RCAs and XLRs but found the CAST interconnects performing the best for my all Krell Gears. So I don't think anyone can judge a system performance by quick demo in store or at friend's house. I truly believe you can achieve your satisfaction through carefully selecting and trying various combinations. One thing I found is that what works best on one system is not necessarily works for another system. So hope you keep this in mind!